Processor Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-rock

In Runtime
Hi,

I have an ASUS m4a785-m motherboard with an AMD Phenom 9850 quad core processor on it. I have a fan that fits over the top of it. I know nothing about this fan. I was wondering if it matters what fan I put on the processor, and if I put the wrong one on there if it will cause a problem?

Also, the computer overheated the other day, which is why I am asking. So, I am looking at picking up an aluminum case (instead of the old plastic one I have it in now). Does that actually make ad difference, and should I look into just adding a few more fans to the computer to help keep it cool?

It certainly matters what fan you put on the CPU (processor) - the term for that fan is 'heatsink', btw, since it consists of the metal as well as the fan, and it's used to sink heat into.

You get a wide variety of heatsinks, with varying sizes of fan, number of fans, different types of metal, the volume of metal, and different physical designs.

The cheaper heatsinks will be physically smaller, with small fans, and use usually aluminium for heat transfer. The more expensive ones will be physically larger, and have larger fans, and a larger volume of copper in their design, because copper conducts the heat best of any consumer-available metal.

I was wondering if it matters what fan I put on the processor, and if I put the wrong one on there if it will cause a problem?
If you attach a heatsink that isn't good enough to conduct enough of the heat out of the CPU, then obviously it will overheat. So then yes, it does matter what heatsink you use.

Heatsinks attach to the CPU (and the motherboard) with a mounting bracket. Different mounting brackets are required for different CPUs, as the many different series of CPUs use different sockets. So, if you're buying a new heatsink you need to make sure it comes with a mounting bracket that will fit on your CPU socket.

Well, you would do that by measuring what the temperature of your CPU is, when you are not using it (idle), and when you are fully utilising it (load). Use the program Hardware Monitor
CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
to measure what these temperatures are.

I can tell you if the temperatures are good or not, though if your computer overheated as you mentioned in the opening post, then it probably isn't (though the new case you said you've ordered might alleviate that issue).

Alright I will install the program tonight and let you know the results. I think the case has caused a lot of problems, because it is hot in the case, and it the warmth just doesn't seem to be leaving the case.

That is a common problem - usually resulting from not enough fans (not enough airflow to carry heat away) or bad wire management (so that the cables block the airflow). Removing any dust from the fans and the inside of the case can help.

Ok, I am going to pick up an aluminum case and if need be I will put a few more fans in the case, and make sure that the wires are out of the way. right now I have two fans (1 blowing in and one blowing out, and one on the chip). Would adding another out be good? or should I add one in and one out?

It depends - what size are those fans? Fans come in 80mm/100mm/120mm/140mm sizes. Usually one in, one out and one on the CPU is plenty. Are you sure they're all spinning?
Either way, more fans can't really be a bad thing.

They are 80mm fans. They are spinning, but I think it might have something to do with the case, which is the reason I am looking at buying a new one.

Thanks for all your help. I will test the temps tonight or tomorrow and get back to you.

In idle the temps are:
Ok the temperatures of the processor cores are at about 88F with a max of 100F it says.
For the temperature gauges 1 it is at 93 -96
Temp gauge 2 is at 87-87.

Performing a bunch of activities:
the temp gauge 1 is 91-103
temp gauge 2 is 86-89
Core temperatures are 124-131

Do I need to be worried about these temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom