which processor is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m6qrp

In Runtime
Which of these to processors are better?

Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 2.4C 800mhz with HT

or

Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 2.4A 533mhz w/o HT

I know they are really out dated but i just got my hands on the northwood and i was wondering if it would be better to swap it with the prescott or just leave it.

thx

Which of these to processors are better?

Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 2.4C 800mhz with HT

or

Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 2.4A 533mhz w/o HT

I know they are really out dated but i just got my hands on the northwood and i was wondering if it would be better to swap it with the prescott or just leave it.

thx

bigger numbers generally means bigger speed :p so go with the northwood

thanks for the quick reply but according to the specs, the prescott has 1mb of cache and is 90nm while the northwood has 512kb of cache and is 130nm techonology. is the northwood really faster than the prescott?

Northwood
Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz - RK80532PG056512 (BX80532PG2400D)

Prescott
Intel Pentium 4 2.4A GHz - B80546PE0561M (BX80546PE2400E)

You..just answered your own question. 1MB cache vs 512kb Cache. 90nm vs 130nm. Basically, 90nm is the 'current' technology for most CPU's, 130 is older so yes, the northwood is faster seeing as it's using slightly faster and more recent technology.

what im asking now is, is the newer prescott with more l2 cache but lower fsb faster than the older northwood with less l2 cache but higher fsb and HT technology.

Sorry, I misread that and mis typed sorta. FSB is important, but L2 cache does alot of work as well, I'd say the northwood. However FSB is the (correct me if i'm wrong) connection point between the system devices and the cpu. If the FSB is slower on a 'faster' cpu, this could hinder performance.

Newer isn't always 'better' in this case, if there was a drastic price difference and you were on a budget it would shift the choice, but realistically it sounds like this isn't the case. Also, you keep saying the 'newer' prescott when it lacks HT. Again, I might be wrong, for a newer processor the prescott doesn't look all that appealing.

As far as I know Northwood performs slightly better per clock because of the shorter pipeline

And the Northwood you posted have HT support. If I were you, I would definitely get Northwood.

so having ht makes the northwood faster than the prescott eventhough it has more cache? in that case, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom