Problems installing another 512 RAM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyman_33

Baseband Member
Ok, so for christmas I asked for some RAM. Well, I wanted a 1gb stick of corsair, but my parents got me a second stick of 512mb to add to my already 512mb so I could therefore still have 1GB.

When I opened up my computer I looked and the stick currently being used is Kingston and all it says is Value RAM. I don't know anything else about that stick.

The stick of RAM I just recieved has the following details on the package:

512MB 266MHz DDR PC2100 ECC DIMM CL2.5

So I look at my motherboard and there are only two slots for RAM. One called DIMM1 and one called DIMM2. The motherboard is an old Iwill.

The original RAM was in the DIMM2 slot. My computer worked fine.

We add the new stick into the DIMM1 slot. Nothing works... We check each stick of RAM in the DIMM2 slot. Both sticks work fine alone. Finally, I don't remember how we had them in, but we got it to fire up with both sticks.

I go to load windows and it was about TWENTY times slower than normal. It was incredibly laggy such as you click internet explorer and wait and it literally took like two minutes to load.

So my stepdad tells me to check that they each work again or w/e. So I check the orginial 512 in both slots.

It doesn't work when it's alone in the DIMM1 slot, but it works perfect alone in the DIMM2 slot. That's how I have it right now and stopped at this point to come on here to get help.

Do I need a new motherboard to run these dual? Are these not compatible and I'm not able to run these dual (aka can you only run specific RAM dual)?

Any got any ideas about why they won't work toghter, but both work fine alone? How do I get them to work toghter?

Thank you VERY MUCH if you read this!!!! And thank you very much more if you have a solution!!!

Thanks,

-Kyle

P.S. Hope I didn't leave out any details. Should I have left my other computer specs?

next time before you buy ram , make sure you know what kind of ram you are using right now especially if youre going dual channel with the old ram + new ram.

anyways go to www.crucial.com and do a system scan ( select from the left hand side panel ) and then tell us what speed your old ram is running at....PC3200....PC2100...PC2700.... or you can also tell us if its DDR400...DDR333....like that and we will see if its ok to mix with your new ram or not. sometimes switching the slots of where you place the ram can cause problems too

for more info, check out the RAM guide on this forum

It says it's AGP.

This is all copy and pasted:

Your computer currently has 512 MB of memory installed; and will support up to 3072 MB.

Slot 1
512 MB
ECC DDR PC2300

Currently Installed Memory
512 MB
Maximum Memory Capacity
3072 MB
Total Number Of Memory Slots
Available Memory Slots

If each stick of memory works fine seperately in DIMM2, but doesn't work at all seperately in DIMM1, I'd say there is a problem with the DIMM1 slot, not a bad stick of memory.

Or the 2 sticks of memory might just not be compatible with each other.

I have come to find that the problem is the DIMM1 slot.

I plan to upgrade my motherboard, processor, and RAM, so I'll just run 512 until then.

Thank you so much for all the help!

Regards,

Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom