problems with getting a new drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default problems with getting a new drive

i have 2 hard disks, one is 100 GB other is about 200. i want to install a TB.

1 - if i install an external, will that be as fast as an internal?

2 - if i was to get an internal TB, how much of a pain would the data transfer be? what i'm imaginging is using the current C (100 GB) as the master, take away the 200 gb and putting the TB as the slave, transferring C's contents to the TB. then i dont even know the next steps but id have to copy the 200 GB to the TB somehow. sounds a whole pain. is there an easier way?

could i just attach the TB as the slave rather than the 200 GB, and somehow transfer the 200's contents even if its not inside the computer? is there some way to do that?

thanks
dan

You want the best? Here I am
Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: problems with getting a new drive

1TB has little use for a system drive. For storage, however, it does.

Internal or External, you can run it as a separate drive. SATA drives aren't configured as master and slave. You can put it right in your case with your 2 current drives.

I have a 60GB SSD, 320GB, and 500GB in my system. Added the 500GB recently.

For external, it matters of the connection. USB is limited by it's speed. eSATA would be best, as it almost like a normal internal drive.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knowitall!

Unless the C: drive is starting to fail or something, I would leave it as the boot drive. You could install the new HDD as a replacement for the 200GB then put the 200G in an external enclosure and easily transfer the data on it to the new HDD. Afterwards you could use the 200G as a drive for backups. Instead of an external enclosure, you could get a USB dock to put the 200G in to transfer the data.

USB Adapter

USB Docking station
Old 07-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Why don't you just put it in your case, using a SATA port on your board? I don't know what system you have, but you don't need an external if you have space in your case.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

although i've heard the term SATA before in relation to hard drives i dont know what it means.

i opened my computer yesterday and did see physical space to put a hard disk, but didn't see a third data cable. sooo i'm guessing i cant put a third drive in there?

Old 07-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
You could install the new HDD as a replacement for the 200GB then put the 200G in an external enclosure and easily transfer the data on it to the new HDD. Afterwards you could use the 200G as a drive for backups. Instead of an external enclosure, you could get a USB dock to put the 200G in to transfer the data.
so are you recommending an external enclosure or a usb dock? if i was to get the enclosure how would that work, dont i still need a usb to transfer the data?
what are the respective costs? the adapter you linked me to above was $8 but not sure how that applies to this discussion, unless that's the usb solution?

Old 07-15-2011, 01:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

i dont know what this means

>SATA port on your board ?

Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Those 4 ports are SATA. They are like IDE, with that big grey cable. Same philosophy, different application. You need a separate SATA cable for every drive. There is no primary and secondary anymore with SATA.

FYI, do not double post. You should know that by now.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knowitall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdan View Post
so are you recommending an external enclosure or a usb dock? if i was to get the enclosure how would that work, dont i still need a usb to transfer the data?
what are the respective costs? the adapter you linked me to above was $8 but not sure how that applies to this discussion, unless that's the usb solution?
I gave you a couple of choices that would work, which way you go would be up to you. The external enclosure (which could connect via USB or eSATA) would be a more "permanent" solution whereas the USB adapter is a "quickee" solution just to be able to get the data off the 200G drive.

Closed Thread