Problem cloning SSD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via Skype™ to Caliburn
Default Problem cloning SSD

Hello tech forum i have a problem (as most people have), i have recently bought a Samsung EVA 250GB to replace my old Corsair Force GT 90GB system drive. I started the cloning process and everything seemed fine, but when everything was finished i got a message saying something about bad files could not be cloned, and then the cloning failed. I don't remember exactly what it said, but should you need it I could try the cloning process again, but this time take a screenshot. It takes about an hour cloning so...

It is also worth noting I have experienced frequent crashing for a long period of time, but i don't know the reason. It may the operating system (Windows 7 ultimate 64bit) being installed wrongly or something, in which case would it even be a good idea to clone the drive? Obviously i don't want to buy an entirely new operating system and it would be a pain in the *** considering i have a lot of other programs installed, but if i don't have any other option, it is doable. Most of my programs is installed on other drives.

The 90GB SSD is completly full, fluctuating from 2 GB free, to 200MB free.

Caliburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Problem cloning SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusheire View Post
I would run a disk check and see if there is a bad sector on the drive. I would also run a defrag just for fun to see if you can clear a little extra space.
We're talking SSDs here, that's a bogus recommendation that could probably finish off what appears to be a dying Corsair Force GT.

To the OP, your problem could be one of two things. The worst being, some of the flash blocks on the Corsair drive could be bad and since the drive is completely full there isn't any overprovision space left to move the important Windows files that can't be cloned or moved.

The second thing could be, the files could not be cloned due to being accessed by Windows if you were cloning from the Corsair while being booted to the Corsair. It's always best to use a separate computer or install (or live disk) to make an image, then clone the image to the new drive. I should also ask what software you're using to do this.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I used Samsung's software "Data Migration" it comes bundeled with the SSD. So what you are saying is that i should delete a lot of files on my Corsair, and then try to clone, if that doesn't work i should use another system?. A problem is that i only have one. I guess i can ask one of my friends if it comes down to it.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Try using CloneZilla LiveCD.

Deleting some files would help if you can.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I can delete some files, it will take a lot of time, and be a pain in the ***, but what does CloneZilla have that Data Migration does not? From what i read CloneZilla is for cloning on a massive scale, servers and such not strictly for personnel computers.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliburn View Post
I can delete some files, it will take a lot of time, and be a pain in the ***, but what does CloneZilla have that Data Migration does not? From what i read CloneZilla is for cloning on a massive scale, servers and such not strictly for personnel computers.
No, that's FoG (Free Opensource Ghost).

CloneZilla is usually intended for personal systems. I use it all the time and have had no issues with it.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Still, what benefits does it give me? If it is the SSD's fault, wont it be impossible either way?
Old 01-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

A liveCD means you don't have to boot into Windows which mitigates half your issues with one simple step. Burn it to disc or toss it on a flash drive and boot to it with no install. You can then make an image of your Corsair drive while no files are being accessed on it, and have no read/write protect issues. If your clone fails then, it's the Corsair drive giving off errors.

Edit: Doing this is by far the best way to clone any drive with Windows and you only have one machine.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks, forgive my ignorance, but I don't really understand what i have to do... Should i burn the OS onto a CD or a USB? The OS is a little bit huge isn't it? And i don't understand what you mean by no install, how do i boot from a USB or disk if that is the case. It sounds great, but how do i do it? I am not used to work outside Windows, only ever accessed the BIOS for fun and to see what it looks like. :/

I am still a noob when it comes to computers, and that is why I am here.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Not the OS, Clonezilla LiveCD. You can do CD or flash drive, which ever is easier. The program should have instructions on what to do.

Access to my Plex PM me.

Tags
ssd, upgrade