Probably a stupid question, regarding options with power supply hookups... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce
Default Probably a stupid question, regarding options with power supply hookups...

My power supply has what appears to be 3 "sets" of power wires coming out of it. Each "set" of these wires have 3 additional hookups, which is the 4 pin connector that you use for the CD ROM drive and hard drive, etc.

Now, my question is this... say I wanted to hook up more hard drives and CD rom drives than I have "plugs" available. Is there some kind of attachment I can get, possibly like one of those "sets" of wires, and I just plug one into an existing plug? So essentially, it's like creating a surge protector (sorta) with the amount of power supply plugs I can use for powering devices. I know I'd have to be cautious about the power supply and making sure everything gets sufficient power... but I'm just trying to understand if this is possible...

Old 10-08-2005, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to PhillipBelcher Send a message via Yahoo to PhillipBelcher

how many watts is the power supply?

Old 10-08-2005, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

yer check out cables on ebuyer.com or somethin and you should be able to get an adapter to turn 1 plug into 2 or whatever. Alternatively, get a new PSU, which is probably the safer option.

Smiffy

I am a partner in the above website, and would be happy to help you configure a fully built PC on a budget. PM me or contact mark@xero-systems.co.uk
Old 10-08-2005, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce

Quote:
Originally posted by smiffjunior2005
yer check out cables on ebuyer.com or somethin and you should be able to get an adapter to turn 1 plug into 2 or whatever. Alternatively, get a new PSU, which is probably the safer option.

Smiffy
PSU is brand spankin new, I had this setup for a few days. I'm not planning on doing this, seeing as though I have 1 or 2 open ports left that are unused. It's just, when I saw them I was like omg I have so many I'll have so many unused ones! But they quickly filled up. I just wanted to know if it was an option.

PSU is 420w max.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to bigstanklo

I've never heard of anyone doing this but i'm sure its possible. Just search on newegg or another PC part buying website under cables and let me know if this is possible because its an interesting idea.
Closed Thread