Probably a simple question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
If you typically use your PC for gaming and and someone gave you the choice between a P4 3.2ghz on an AGP only MOBO, or a AMD x2 3800 with a combo AGP/PCIE MOBO would there be any reason NOT to take the AMD?

Let's just assume the AMD will NOT be overclocked.

Any help is appreciated and this should answer all of my concerns in one simple question

:D

AMD all the way!! there is no reason not to take the AMD combo, unless its a lot more expensive. plus, AMD kicks intels *** in gaming - charlie

yeah plus, i heard that a 3.0+ghz intel is almost equivalent to a amd 3800+ especially if u can get a PCIe Graphics card, which makes it even better.

john3 said:
yeah plus, i heard that a 3.0+ghz intel is almost equivalent to a amd 3800+ especially if u can get a PCIe Graphics card, which makes it even better.

LOL, that's funny! A 3.0ghz intel is equal to an athlon64 3000.

3800, not 3000, and it can be, cause i hear ppl comparing 3GHz intels to 2GHz AMDs, hence 3800+ (x2) and the dual core only makes it better, plus u can overclock, so there u r.

hmm... I think you're on the right track, but have a few facts mixed up.

AMD processors can do more work in fewer cycles. This is why you are comparing GHZ to GHZ.

I think in the current run of P4 processors, you can go by gigahertz. When you go to AMD processors, use the P-Rating to compare it to its Pentium counterpart.

A 3800+ comes in 2 varieties. A single core version with 512mb L2 cache, Venice core @ 2.4 ghz. The X2 3800+ comes with 2 cores with the same cache in each one, clocked at 2.0ghz each.

Ryan

Thanks guys, I was reading reviews on the AMD X2 3800 on NewEgg and several people said to avoid dual-core processors for gaming and stick with single core. Just spooked me a bit.

A 3800 amd is equal to a 3.8ghz intel. Dont worry about clock speeds.... this is why Amd has made the '#'s" match....so its easy to compare.....unfortunately some people get it backwards....

Amd's are currently a better bang for the buck processor.....right now that is..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom