Is this pre-built computer a good buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acoustic

Beta member
I have recently decided to purchase a new computer, and I was recommended to buy a custom system. Since I don't know much about computers, I decided to choose a pre-built one instead. For $790 CAD ($713 USD), I thought this seemed like a decent system:

Hewlett-Packard dc7100 CMT Pentium4 3.2GHz 1024MB 80GB DVD+/-RW Intel E2 Graphics 10/100/1000bTX LAN Win XP Home (No Monitor) (EOL / No Returns)

My main concern is whether or not it'll be able to run the game WoW adequately. This means minimal lag and comfortable graphics (doesn't need to be breathtaking, but sufficient clarity). Also, is the price I'm getting the system for a good deal?

Thanks for your expertise in advance. :eek:

P.S.- This is the site I'm getting it from:
http://atic.ca/index.php?page=Products&cat=84
If you see another pre-built that is a better deal and suits my needs, please tell me.

That pc is ok, but it doesn't even have a decent videocard. The onboard videocard is really bad. Also $700 for that is a little pricy. I reccomend just building and going with AMD.

Okay, thanks BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL for your input.

The reason I'm getting it from that place is because I can conveniently pick it up on my own. I wish I can build my own computer like you advised for me to do, but unfortunately, even if someone picked out all the parts for me, I wouldn't know how to put two pieces together. If the video card is the problem though, I can probably install another one myself or ask them to replace it for a small fee. I was looking at the GeForce and Radeon from the $40s - $80s range:

http://atic.ca/index.php?page=Products&cat=9

You need to fork out more money for a better graphics card. And if you're thinking of upgrading the graphics card on that prebuilt machine, you're out of luck. It probabaly doesn't have a pci-e slot, which is what you're looking for, and buying a motherboard with an AGP slot nowadays is a complete waste.

But yeah, you definitely need a better video card to enjoy wow.

dude build ur own, im canadian and i feel ur pain about prices. here is what you would need to run it fine

AMD 3200+
a regular mobo, nothing special, it should cost about $70
Geforce 7600GT or 6600GT
a regular case
200 GB Hard drive
2x1gb dual channel VALUE ram, preferablly from OCZ, Corsair, Crucial.
NEC 3550A optical drive.

Alright, thanks everyone. I did end up customizing my own with some help from a friend, and I'm paying the place $25 to put it together for me. This was the end result:

1x AMD Athlong 64 3200+ 2.0GHz.
2x Kingston 512MB DDR400
1x Asus A8N-E
1x Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA-II
1x Alps FD 1.44 Black
1x eVGA 6600GT 128M SLi PCI-Ex
1x In-Win C589T ATX 350W BK
1x Pioneer DVR-111D DVD-/+RW 16x BK

It added all up to $736.
How does this sound?

I already have 2x 512MB of RAM, I should have one more?
And the In-Win C589T's power supply reads:
350W ATX Powerman ATX12V 2.01 20+4pin
That's reliable, right?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom