Practise Makes Perfect - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Practise Makes Perfect

So I'd love to have a bit of fun and just give myself 3 hours to just follow some online instructions and attempt to build a computer for myself. I've already accepted I'm never going to do it on a real PC, since I wouldn't want to risk messing anything up, however I'm more than happy to spend a bit of money to build the cheapest possible PC I can find.

I'm basically wondering if I can get all the key components for a computer for under £70, something that'd actually work if I turned it on, but wouldn't actually have to be any good. It doesn't have to be pretty. Doesn't have to be good. If it blows up after 3 weeks, it blows up. So if anyone can put together a dirt cheap build online, that'd be awesome, and will give me plenty of fun fiddling around with it, even if I put it together, then completely take it apart and put it together again!

Edit: Just thinking, I could probably get a lot of this second hand off Ebay for pretty cheap.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n
Default Re: Practise Makes Perfect

Go to your local dump, they will probably have a sale section and in Hampshire (where I am) they have to mark any items they are selling for more than £5. The rules might be different in Manchester but I would certainly give that a try.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread