Power Supply and Video Card Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnselk

Baseband Member
My old HP model 7955, 1.5GHz, has a mere 200 watt power supply. I'm getting into video capturing and have started having reboot problems well into the capture process. I was told my problem may be heat related (cpu or ?). Keep in mind, I'm a novice and not a gamer (nothing against you guys). I'm getting into digitizing analog vhs and 8mm tapes and burning the edited product to dvd.....and I need help....and lots of it.

I've looked at several video cards (to upgrade my nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 (mere 32MB card) because my computer indicated after the second reboot (via a dialog box) that my videocard driver needs to updated). But I was thinking about going with a 128MB card instead. But, here's the problem. Most all new video cards I've looked at require a minimum of 250 watt power supply (for instance the eVGA eforce FX5500 128MB or 256MB does).

Here are my questions: Can I run a video card that requires 250 watts on my 200 watt power supply without problem? Could this be my reboot problem? Is it difficult to swap out a power supply? Do I have to be concerned about anything in the power supply spec's besides wattage, like voltage and amps? Does my computer's motherboard (ASUS P4B-LA but I'm told it's really P4B-LU???) require a specific power supply with specific voltages and amperage? I need help here to decide what I need to do and why I need to do it.

I hope this makes sense. If not, please query me about anything you need in order to help me. I want to learn so I will be able to capture, store on hd, edit, and burn old tapes to dvd. I'm using "ADS Pyro A/V Link" with "Adobe Premiere Elements" to do this. I just bought it and am still learning! Adobe is tough to learn! The hardware is straight forward and easy.

Here's what happens when I use what my "lil ole" HP as it was shipped (no I upgraded the RAM to 512MB and added the 250GB HD....that's it): While I'm capturing video, after about 45 minutes (this time is likely to be different each time I capture) my computer reboots and I lose all of the captured video (it's still on my HD but it's corrupt and useable.....(won't open), so I have to rerun it again). I lost 9GB of video (45 minutes worth) in my first long capture (short captures didn't cause this reboot problem). I'm capturing video to a nearly empty new 250GB 7200 rpm, 8MB cashe WD HD. Keep in mind, I've only captured two video to hd (one 30 minute and 45 minute)....the shorter one didn't cause the reboot....only the 45 minute one.

Help please....and thanks.....sorry this is so long....but to me, it's worth the effort if I want good advice.

Video card manufacturors recommend a certain wattage for a reason. I feel that your rebooting problems is due to a poor power supply.

What are your temps at reboot?

Temps at Reboot

SHAWN said:
Video card manufacturors recommend a certain wattage for a reason. I feel that your rebooting problems is due to a poor power supply.

What are your temps at reboot?

I haven't check that yet.....just was told about Everest...and downloaded it....but have not done another capture since.

Do you recommend Everest? or another motherboard monitor? If so, which should I use.

P.S. I love your Hot Wheels!!!

It's most likely your PSU. I'd reccomend at least a 400 watt if your upgrading to that video card, and you have your computer setup and multiple drives and that video capture card. Get a solid FSP Group Norton 350, 400 or 450 watt PSU.

For a video card, the X1300PRO is great for non gamers, even the X1300 is too although slightly less powerful.

Brtnboarder495 said:
It's most likely your PSU. Get a solid FSP Group Norton 350, 400 or 450 watt PSU.

Will I have problems finding a Norton PSU that will fit into the small space where my little 200 watt PSU currently is?

Again, do I need to be concerned about the "output" voltage and amperage of a new PSU?

I guess I'm concerned (maybe unduly) about this and just need to be reassured that the mother board won't be affected by a different output voltage or amperage than what I now have. What I'm trying to say is this, do I not have to be concerned at all about the output voltage and amperage/current?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom