Power Supply Question, new build.

Nhalx

Beta member
Hi,
After reading the Power supply guide, I'm still not sure about what power supply to get.

It's clear to me that i should be aiming higher towards a 600W but still not exactly sure and am a bit scared to buy a PSU that doesn't meet the load.

Currently my setup would be:
Motherboard: Sabertooth X990 r2.0 - Bought
Ram: DDR3-1600 G.SKill 18GB (Ripjaws) - Bought
CPU: AMD FX-8350 - Bought

CPU Info:
I know I would've been better off with a Intel but for what it's worth the value I'm getting out of this CPU is well worth the save.
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 770 GTX - Not bought yet

GPU info:
I'm not planning on getting any higher, the price I'm paying for the GTX 770 is fair enough and I don't feel like I will need the power of a 780 or require to save a few 10ers for the 760

Hard Drive: Seagate 2 Terrabyte 7200RPM - Bought

Hard Drive Info:
Currently don't feel the need to save some extra seconds on load-times on windows or even gaming, The money value I would be getting out of it just doesn't suit me as much.

Optical: None.

USB and Other devices

Headset: USB + Optical
Astro Mixamp and Astro a40 headset

Mouse:
Mad Catz M.M.O 7 Gaming Mouse

Keyboard:
Roccat ISKU (Illuminated Gaming Keyboard)

Monitor:
LG 38 inch LED tv.

Fans:
x3 120mm Fans (LED)
x1 200mm Fan (LED)

I am currently not on a very tight budget but i can't push out over 100-200 euros out for a PSU, especially the reason why I'm running a AMD CPU.
The power consumption on AMD cards seems way too high and will only force me to dish out more for a PSU which isn't very convenient.
The best would be to get it on a reasonable level and I would definitly be willing to get a 80+ platinum Corsair with 760W if it is enough.

PSU Model: Corsair AX760

Now my question would be, with my current setup and the Geforce 770 GTX
Will I really need 760W or can I go lower?
Or can I even expect to require even more power on my PSU to power the machine?

Thank you for taking your time reading, hope that someone has the answer.

760W will be plenty to push that system. I wouldn't stoop down to any lower than 600W personally on that build.

However; if you get that PSU you'll have some upgrading room for a few years, not to mention it's a higher grade PSU and that's where your money really counts. You dont want to put some crap PSU in your system that is going to possibly fail and ruin your PC.

I have 2 Corsair 850 Gold Series I've been running in my systems for awhile and they have ran flawless for over a year now.

If you have the money then by all means. You could easily get the Seasonic M1211 620w and be good for a few years but it's best to get the best reasonable PSU you can get up front. By reasonable I mean don't go wasting money on 1200w worth of unit if you never plan on having 3 GPUs. You could get even the HX650 or Seasonic 650w G series.

Thank you for the responses, that answers my question.

I'll get the Corsair 760W in this scenario, considering it might give me some breathing room in the next few years.

Back
Top Bottom