Power Supply and Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGlazer

In Runtime
This is my first post on these forums. I bought a desktop computer almost a year ago and have been trying to read a bit here and there about computers since. I'm not sure if this is the right place to make this thread; but I would like to hear some opinions concerning Power Supply and Memory.

Current System:

E6400
P5B Deluxe
1G Kingston 667 PC-5300:laughing:
eVGA 7600GT 256mb
Seagate 320G HD
Viewsonice VX922 19" Monitor
Generic 380W Powersupply:laughing:

I'm planning to change my memory and Powersupply soon and was curious of what MUCH more knowledgable computer enthusiasts think.

Corsair 6400C4 vs Crucial Ballistix 6400
Corsair HX620 vs anything else around it's price range (give take $20)

Also, my best friend's dad, who is suppose to be a very knowledgable computer enthusiast told me that there's a rule of thumb: The Powersupply should be at least 2x the minimum requirement of Watts for the Graphics Card. Is this true or false? I do plan on changing my graphic card within the next 6 months.

Thank You for your opinions:)

Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 PC6400 all the way
And the Corsair PSU is very great too. Your choices are excellent.

No, that isn't a rule of thumb. That Corsair PSU can hold up pretty much anything that your rig is going to use.

Well first of all, Welcome!

---
Dunno about that rule of thumb....what's important is the amperage rating on the 12v rail(s)...different manufacturers rate differently so it's not a good idea to make a decision base purely on wattage.

I recommend the Corsair HX620w. It's very stable, quiet, and powerful.

If you want ot save some money the HX520w is plenty as well...Can run an overclocked quad core and a 2900xt (power hungry card) no problem.

As for memory...if you don't plan on overclocking then it doesn't really matter...but if you ARE going to overclock (it would be a sin not to as you have a Conroe and a p5b deluxe) then choose the Crucial Ballistix. It's some of the best overclocing memory out there...and right now newegg is having a **** of a deal on it.

64 dollars after a 47 dollar rebate
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

I have the 5300 Ballistix and just look at the speeds I have it at in my sig (I've done 1150mhz 5,5,5,15 @ 2.25v as well)

Thanks for the quick replies.

I read about the Corsair HX620, and it got very very good reviews. My friend's dad told me to get the Enermax Galaxy 850W; but it's out of my price range, it cost over $300 after taxes. I mentioned the Corsair HX620 to him, but he said it barely runs my current evGA 7600GT Graphics card; and the Enermax is the best route for me. But from what I've read in reviews and stuff, the Corsair is able to handle 8800GTX cards.......... So I don't know who to believe. Is the Corsair too little wattage like my dad's friend says? Or is it sufficient like I read in some reviews?

Man, it's confusing.

I do plan to overclock once I read up more and understand how things work better, so the Crucial ballistix is the way to go?

Don't listen to your friend's dad....because the power is not in the wattage, but in the amps. The Corsair 620HX has 54A, and that's enough to power any high end system, with two GTX...easily.

If you want ot save some money the HX520w is plenty as well...Can run an overclocked quad core and a 2900xt (power hungry card) no problem.

So the HX620 should be able to handle a eVGA 8800GTX (I plan on getting in the future) no problem?

My friend's dad told me that Corsair and OCZ suck as powersupply, because they are not real Powersupply companies........... and I should go with Enermax. Is there truth to this? Is Enermax a much more superior company for power supplies?

If your friends dad just judges PSU's based on their wattage rating then I'd say take his advice with a grain of salt ;) Sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

The HX620w can handle an overclocked Quad core and 2900XT's in Crossfire...so yes it iwll handle the 8800GTX no problem.

And yeah the ballistix are VERY good...especially for that price with the rebate.

So the HX620 should be able to handle a eVGA 8800GTX (I plan on getting in the future) no problem?

My friend's dad told me that Corsair and OCZ suck as powersupply, because they are not real Powersupply companies........... and I should go with Enermax. Is there truth to this? Is Enermax a much more superior company for power supplies?

Enermax is a good company, it's just that there are better brands for the money. I don't know where you heard, that Corsairs suck as power supplies, because they are of excellent quality.

No truth whatsoever. Enermax is a good company but there are a LOT of good companies out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom