Power Supply fail. New attempt.

Argilus

In Runtime
I built a pretty nice system last year, and tried going about reading most hardware compatibility information that I could, but I guess I made a bit of a poor choice. I have/had a Consair TX 650 power suppy, and with my Raedon 9650 HD video card, where it's minimum is 650, I think I tapped out the rest of its life. However, I don't have a spare, so I am unsure if I should really go out and by the 750w I was suggested to buy.

Not once did anything over heat. First though it would shut off after playing some new high end (settings Maxed Games) Tribes Ascend.
Then while running a few programs here and there.
Now while running on idle. I've done many clean ups, virus scans, Malware clean ups. ANd even deep driver installs.
The only thing I have found is the reference to power supply life failure. It's been 13 months. Let me know if there is something else that might be able to back up that my powersupply is dying. I don't want to replace it, if I don't need to.

AMD Processor Phantom II x6 1090T

Are you talking about the old AGP 9650 for Macs? Or did you mean 6950?

If you mean the 6950, the minimum required is a 500w PSU and your TX 650 should be more than plenty. If it is shutting off randomly then that would probably be the processor either not getting enough power (motherboard problem) or it is overheating.

Are you talking about the old AGP 9650 for Macs? Or did you mean 6950?

If you mean the 6950, the minimum required is a 500w PSU and your TX 650 should be more than plenty. If it is shutting off randomly then that would probably be the processor either not getting enough power (motherboard problem) or it is overheating.

Yeah, I meant the 6950 sorry. So, I'm not sure why it would suddenly start shorting out then on the motherboard, since I haven't tampered with anything. Is there any advice on how I should check? I'll give anything a try, as I'm not to happy to buy something I don't don't need.

What do you think?

I guess, some Thermal Paste, and a deep cleaning through the fan. It might help I suppose.

Attachments

• Temp.jpg
    Temp.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
What is your motherboard and the cooler you have on your CPU? Also, idle temps mean nothing really unless they are unusually high. Go ahead and stress your system with Intelburntest (all cores) and see what your max temp is with Coretemp.

What is your motherboard and the cooler you have on your CPU? Also, idle temps mean nothing really unless they are unusually high. Go ahead and stress your system with Intelburntest (all cores) and see what your max temp is with Coretemp.

I have the Gigabyte ga-890ga-ud3h mother board. The cooler for the CPU is a massive turbine of a thing. It's still works fine, and I can still see it running now. So, I can't remember what Brand it is though, but still work great.

I ran Intelburntest and have the temps below.

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 4
You don't have the CPU OCed do you?
And those are your load temps while the test was going?

Finally, how long are you playing before your computer shuts down? If you run the test on all cores for 10-20 loops and temps stay like that then we can rule out heat, board, and CPU.

If we can rule that out and your PC still doesn't shut down then go ahead and run Furmark and see if that does the trick. Also while doing this put your hand on the back of your PSU and check for warmth. If it is getting very hot to the touch then it is your PSU, if it is cool then probably not.

Thanks man. I'll give it all a go now.

But now, nothing is over flocked. Its normally about 15 mind is when my Pc taps out.

Ill get back to you.

So far my GPU is running at 90 degree's Celsius. Yikes

Last edited:
Is that with the fan at 100%? Isn't too bad considering Furmark stresses your GPU harder than a game would. If your fan is at 100% then that is reason to be concerned and probably the culprit.

Fan on video card wasn't running 100%.

So, tried the stress test, and didn't make it to test 8. It shut off.

Running pretty hot to. I guess the psu got warm back there but not hot. So any suggestion would be great. Ill let you know if there are any changes.

Thanks man. I mean it. Getting worried too. Lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom