power supply basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I'm reading that the bigger the power supply, the better. 500w better than 400w, etc. But are there any drawbacks to more power, such as heat?

Also, are power supplies pretty generic in size and installation? I have a Thermaltake Matrix VD2000 case. I'm assuming that whether I get an Antec 500w or a Thermaltake 400w, they will all fit and install

Most ATX power supplies are the same size, except for ones like PC Power & Cooling, which are pretty big.

Just like motherboards have to be the same size and with the connectors in the same area (for each format, ATX, BTX), power supply's will follow the same types of standards.

In your case, (pun intended), you will be using a standard ATX power supply. You are doing good with the brands of power supplies you mentioned... DO NOT get a bargain basement PSU, because EVERY component in the computer relies on the PSU, and it is often overlooked as a component that needs to be of some quality. As far as the wattage you need, it depends on the hardware you will be using... a 500w PSU isn't going to make the computer run faster, but it will be able to provide more power for the components than a 400W PSU. Lets say your components draw 375w at startup, and 300w normally, both PSU's would provide the same performance. This is the the best of my knowledge, based on PSU reviews and comparisons I have read, but you may want some other views too.

Thanks, I won't worry about the size and install issue anymore. Right now I plan to pop in a 500w in the $60-$70 range from a good brand name. If I have time I'll study the details some more.

Apparently there is no heat issue with higher power? I do plan to install the optional second fan in the case so I get good airflow.

go with the antec smart power 500w, it's right in your range at 69 bucks. It's got modular cabaling, so you only have to plug in what you use, giving you better airflow. Plus antec is one of th most reliable names when it comes to power supplies.

Thanks. I'm not sure about the other stuff, but I'm definately set on the power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom