Power Supply Amps

NevoraskiA

In Runtime
Getting the EVGA Supernova 1600 Watt P2

I have a 20 amp circuit breaker to my bedroom.

Can I even run this power supply?... or will a blow a fuse/the breaker?

What parts are you putting on this PSU? A 20 amp circuit would be fine, but you'll need a 20 amp contractor outlet.

I don't know if I have a 20 amp contractor outlet or not... not sure how I would tell. I basically run my t.v., computer monitor, computer, ceiling fan, table top fan, and sometimes ceiling light. Not sure if this psu is going to be an issue or not. I'm not running very much, currently running it on an Apevia Warlock 1100 Watt psu. I want to upgrade to a more trustworthy psu and one that I can upgrade my tower with without having to worry about buying any new psu's in the future.

I already bought it... it hasn't shipped yet though. I just want to be sure before it even ships... if it's too much I might cancel it and get a lower wattage psu,

This power supply is everything that I want or may ever need, but I'm just not sure if the breaker can handle it. My dad is an Ex Electrician... and he's saying 1,600 watts would take up the whole 20 amps of the breaker. I'm not sure though. Online I read 10-17 amps for the psu.

Last edited:
Well, if you use 120 as the voltage, 1600/120 = 13.3 amps so a 20 or even 15 amp circuit should handle it. Not to mention that the PSU doesn't necessarily use 1600W, that is the max it will use but actual use will be somewhat less.

You will need to watch as to what else is plugged into the same circuit though. If you have a monitor, printer, router + computer plugged into the same outlet thenthe circuit may not handle all that.

Last edited:
I don't know if I have a 20 amp contractor outlet or not... not sure how I would tell. I basically run my t.v., computer monitor, computer, ceiling fan, table top fan, and sometimes ceiling light. Not sure if this psu is going to be an issue or not. I'm not running very much, currently running it on an Apevia Warlock 1100 Watt psu. I want to upgrade to a more trustworthy psu and one that I can upgrade my tower with without having to worry about buying any new psu's in the future.

I already bought it... it hasn't shipped yet though. I just want to be sure before it even ships... if it's too much I might cancel it and get a lower wattage psu,

This power supply is everything that I want or may ever need, but I'm just not sure if the breaker can handle it. My dad is an Ex Electrician... and he's saying 1,600 watts would take up the whole 20 amps of the breaker. I'm not sure though. Online I read 10-17 amps for the psu.
Doesn't exactly answer my question. Unless you're running a 4 way SLI Titan X setup or something ridiculous like that then you don't need anywhere near 1600w worth of PSU. It's pretty pointless.

Well, if you use 120 as the voltage, 1600/120 = 13.3 amps so a 20 or even 15 amp circuit should handle it. Not to mention that the PSU doesn't necessarily use 1600W, that is the max it will use but actual use will be somewhat less.

You will need to watch as to what else is plugged into the same circuit though. If you have a monitor, printer, router + computer plugged into the same outlet thenthe circuit may not handle all that.
90% of the outlets used in homes are 1500w max, and most rooms are wired for a 10 amp circuit. Another thing he needs to check for is what gauge wire is fed to his room. Having a 20 amp contractor outlet to feed his PC on a 20 amp circuit doesn't mean squat if the cable is too small.

To add onto what was being said already, everything hooked up into your room is being provided by that same 20 amp circuit. So you have to take into account everything else that's drawing power, not just your PC>

Doesn't exactly answer my question. Unless you're running a 4 way SLI Titan X setup or something ridiculous like that then you don't need anywhere near 1600w worth of PSU. It's pretty pointless.

90% of the outlets used in homes are 1500w max, and most rooms are wired for a 10 amp circuit. Another thing he needs to check for is what gauge wire is fed to his room. Having a 20 amp contractor outlet to feed his PC on a 20 amp circuit doesn't mean squat if the cable is too small.

To add onto what was being said already, everything hooked up into your room is being provided by that same 20 amp circuit. So you have to take into account everything else that's drawing power, not just your PC>

Well I've opted away from the 1600w psu... just due to the possibility I can't even use it. I was thinking the 1300w one now.

I run my computer, computer monitor, computer speakers with subwoofer, printer, ceiling lights, t.v. (as second monitor), dvd player, surround sound with subwoofer, cable box, receiver, table top fan, and ceiling fan.

Now I normally don't run all of that at once, but say I did. Would I be able to handle running the 1300w psu and all that stuff on the 20 amps?

I'm currently running a 1100w Apevia Warlock with no issues (yeah that's why i'm changing my psu)... crappy apevia >.<... getting rid of the power supply that possible sometimes supplies incorrect voltages based on what I've researched about them.

As far as what I'm running inside the tower... probably not even close to 1300, but I want to have my computer at a point where if I want to add stuff to it, then I can without having to worry about buying a new power supply ever.

Last edited:
I run 2 Titan X and an overclocked i7 on a 1000w with room to spare. Unless you've got some serious cash to blow for 3 or 4 way graphics at most the only thing you'll need is 850w.

Not trying to ward you away from buying a good PSU, just giving you a heads up. Also for the money I think the AX1200i is a better buy.

What are your computer specs? U might don't need 1,300 watts at all even 1,100 watts.

What I need is besides the point. I am making the computer futureproof and upgradable. So if I need to or want to... I can add more video cards or ram or this or that.

as of right now though... asus p7p55d-e lx mobo (swapping in the p7p55d-e pro soon for the lx as I'm having usb port and graphics issues right now)... xfx radeon r9 (link below), liteon bluray burner, liteon dvd burner, 2 2gb sticks ripjaw gskill series ram, coolermaster v8 cpu fan, coolermaster haf advanced 932 case, samsung spinpoint 1tb hdd, samsung 840 evo 500 gb ssd, intel i7 quadcore lynnfield cpu

Video Card used: XFX Black Edition Double Dissipation R9-290A-EDBD Radeon R9 290 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Looking to eventually sli another of that card in... probably going to eventually get a new mobo and cpu in like 5-10 years from now (newer and better). Going to eventually add more ram. Probably going to add a media card reader eventually. Possibly may add a fan controller. Probably going to add a card that will let me use the 2 3.0 usb's on the front of my case as my motherboard doesn't let me connect them. May even go bigger and better on video cards in the future... may not even sli 2 of the 1 I currently have... may just get 2 of a better card... unsure yet really.

Want this computer at max on windows experience index. currently capped at 7.5/7.9 on primary hard drive (ssd) ram and cpu... graphics and gaming graphics are 7.9/7.9

There... hope that helps LOL

Last edited:
What I need is besides the point. I am making the computer futureproof and upgradable. So if I need to or want to... I can add more video cards or ram or this or that.

as of right now though... asus p7p55d-e lx mobo (swapping in the p7p55d-e pro soon for the lx as I'm having usb port and graphics issues right now)... xfx radeon r9 (link below), liteon bluray burner, liteon dvd burner, 2 2gb sticks ripjaw gskill series ram, coolermaster v8 cpu fan, coolermaster haf advanced 932 case, samsung spinpoint 1tb hdd, samsung 840 evo 500 gb ssd, intel i7 quadcore lynnfield cpu

Video Card used: XFX Black Edition Double Dissipation R9-290A-EDBD Radeon R9 290 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Looking to eventually sli another of that card in... probably going to eventually get a new mobo and cpu in like 5-10 years from now (newer and better). Going to eventually add more ram. Probably going to add a media card reader eventually. Possibly may add a fan controller. Probably going to add a card that will let me use the 2 3.0 usb's on the front of my case as my motherboard doesn't let me connect them.

Want this computer at max on windows experience index. currently capped at 7.5/7.9 on primary hard drive (ssd) ram and cpu... graphics and gaming graphics are 7.9/7.9

There... hope that helps LOL
Three problems with this. There is a lot better things you can buy with your money than a PSU.

Firstly, your current board doesn't support Crossfire (not SLI) for another 290 and buying another board for that CPU is a bit daft unless you're getting it for super cheap. Like $20.

Second, before you do anything I'd suggest getting more RAM. 4GB simply isn't enough if you're serious about gaming. 6GB sure, but not 4. You're also not really going to get 10 years out of your current setup so a new overkill PSU isn't going to do much for you. 5 years maybe with the CPU if you start to overclock but otherwise newer GPUs will get bottlenecked soon.

Third, the Windows performance index not a goal you want to set your sights on. It's absolutely terrible and pretty dumb.

Back
Top Bottom