power requirements for Video card - Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcui21

Solid State Member
I am thinking about purchasing a video card for my Dell Dimension E520 (I think it has a 305-watt power supply). I am interested in the Nvidia PCI-e 7800GT, 7600GT, 6800GT and 6800GS. I did some research on the system requirements for these video cards and some state I will need at least a 400-watt power supply at the minimum and another site indicating 350-watts....if my pc has a 305 watt PSU, does this mean I would have to replace my current PSU? Also, one of the video cards mentioned a power adapter...is this to help with the additional power it requires? Thanks.

I am thinking about purchasing a video card for my Dell Dimension E520 (I think it has a 305-watt power supply). I am interested in the Nvidia PCI-e 7800GT, 7600GT, 6800GT and 6800GS. I did some research on the system requirements for these video cards and some state I will need at least a 400-watt power supply at the minimum and another site indicating 350-watts....if my pc has a 305 watt PSU, does this mean I would have to replace my current PSU? Also, one of the video cards mentioned a power adapter...is this to help with the additional power it requires? Thanks.

the wattage matters little, its teh amps on the dual 12v thing, but i doubt it would power it tho....

The adapter is for if your power supply doesn't have the correct connection already.

If you look at the cards specs, they will recommend a 12v Amperage number. Open the side of the case, and on the side of the power supply will be listed the Amperage numbers for your powersupply. I doubt that 305W will power anything besides what is already in your computer, so expect to get a better power supply. But as Vernong1992 mentioned, its the Amps that matter.

A 500W power supply could be worse then a 400W if the amps are not where they should be. (its more a theory then anything, hard to find power supplies that are sold by reliable resellers to do this anymore)

Welcome to the boards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom