power requirements for Video card - Question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default power requirements for Video card - Question

I am thinking about purchasing a video card for my Dell Dimension E520 (I think it has a 305-watt power supply). I am interested in the Nvidia PCI-e 7800GT, 7600GT, 6800GT and 6800GS. I did some research on the system requirements for these video cards and some state I will need at least a 400-watt power supply at the minimum and another site indicating 350-watts....if my pc has a 305 watt PSU, does this mean I would have to replace my current PSU? Also, one of the video cards mentioned a power adapter...is this to help with the additional power it requires? Thanks.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: power requirements for Video card - Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcui21 View Post
I am thinking about purchasing a video card for my Dell Dimension E520 (I think it has a 305-watt power supply). I am interested in the Nvidia PCI-e 7800GT, 7600GT, 6800GT and 6800GS. I did some research on the system requirements for these video cards and some state I will need at least a 400-watt power supply at the minimum and another site indicating 350-watts....if my pc has a 305 watt PSU, does this mean I would have to replace my current PSU? Also, one of the video cards mentioned a power adapter...is this to help with the additional power it requires? Thanks.
the wattage matters little, its teh amps on the dual 12v thing, but i doubt it would power it tho....

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-22-2007, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to phucng_10 Send a message via Yahoo to phucng_10

305W PSU won't power up those VGA's you've listed up there.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

The adapter is for if your power supply doesn't have the correct connection already.

If you look at the cards specs, they will recommend a 12v Amperage number. Open the side of the case, and on the side of the power supply will be listed the Amperage numbers for your powersupply. I doubt that 305W will power anything besides what is already in your computer, so expect to get a better power supply. But as Vernong1992 mentioned, its the Amps that matter.

A 500W power supply could be worse then a 400W if the amps are not where they should be. (its more a theory then anything, hard to find power supplies that are sold by reliable resellers to do this anymore)

Welcome to the boards!
-------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3400+