Power Cable

tommer

Solid State Member
Hi there,

Following a recent purchase, an Antec Basiq 500W Power supply (BP500U) I came across an issue that made me stop installing it and put the old one back in for a while.

My motherboard takes 3 forms of power from the old PSU;

The 24 Pin Power Adapter
A 4 Pin Power Adapter
and here's the odd one, what I have, through google, identified as a P8 AT on it's own.

The problem is, my Antec PSU did not come with a P8 AT Connector.
I took a picture of the connector to show you which one I mean. I apologize for the terrible quality. I will try to take a better photo soon, my phone is not too good at handling any light other than fully bright. :p

[spoiler]
https://imo.im/fd/D/8RA7Wb7cqT/IMG_20130117_1509471430062176.jpg[/spoiler]

My PC is not exactly all that power hungry, it runs a humble core 2 quad, a couple of hard drives a GTX650 Ti and a D-Link Wireless Xtreme N PCI card. Would my PC need this slot connected in order to run? Are there any risks to switching it on without this connector installed?

Thanks for your help!

No I don't think you need that cable. From what I can gather (there isn't much info) it could be used to power legacy devices but that wouldn't make much sense. I don't see the need for an antiquated plug in a modern machine like this. Since it looks like you have mostly all upgraded parts anyways it shouldn't be any problem. A modern PC only needs the 4pin and 24pin (or newer would be 8pin CPU ATX) to run properly.

Hmm well that's kinda what I suspected myself..

I will give it a spin and see how it goes, and hopefully I will return with good news. :lol:

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom