Is it possible to upgrade the processor on my current motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAHGorgix

Baseband Member
Hello!

I have another thread going but that is dealing with Windows 7 vs Motherboard EULA. This is a whole new question.

The parts sheet that came with my computer has the following listed:

Case: Gateway 7-Bay BTX Tower
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (2.4GHz)
Motherboard: Intel 975x Chipset with DDR2 RAM and Intel Core Duo support

I used a program called HWiNFO32 to run a scan of my computer because Device Manager would not show the motherboard. I learned that my current motherboard in my Gateway FX530 is an Intel OEMD975XBGG1 (Also called D975XBG "Big Arm").

Here are its specs:

Gateway D975XBG Motherboard Big Arm :: LegendMicro.com

In the picture it has the processor bay turned a little, and when I open my case the cooling unit that is mounted on top of it is not turned that direction, but all the other parts match up with the picture provided. I guess the 4 white holes are where it mounts to.

Is there a chance I can upgrade the processor to something better than my 2.4GHz Quad without upgrading the board?

I am thinking I can upgrade to anything on the list for Desktop under Q6600. So maybe even the Core 2 Extreme QX9775.

List of Intel Core 2 microprocessors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Im not sure if this is possible. Seems like every site no longer carries any of the upgrades!

Nevermind. FSBs were 1333, need 1066 or 800. Might just need to rebuild a computer!

please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

The only C2Q 1066MHz CPU faster than the 6600 is the 6700. In order to do much better you will need to go to a different socket motherboard.

The LGA1155 is the current gen socket for Intel, while AMD is in mid-transition and has the AM3/AM3+ and the FM1 (for the new APU chips). Either way you would need a new CPU and RAM as all current gen CPUs and boards use DDR3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom