Is it possible to upgrade my motherboard+cpu+ram using older components? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2006, 03:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Is it possible to upgrade my motherboard+cpu+ram using older components?

I only use my computer for word processing, viewing videos/flash sites/browsing the web, playing old games like Starcraft and Diablo 2, and streaming internet radio off winamp. I'm looking to just increase speed of my computer from a 500mhz celeron processor to something around 2.0Ghz processing speed. I currently use a Emachines eTower 500i and just want something faster. Basically just replace the motherboard + CPU + ram with something newer, while keeping everything else the same.

If it's possible, I've deided on a Pentium 4 processor but don't know what type of motherboard to get and whether my old video card + ethernet card is compatible with such newer motherboards. Concerning P4 processors, I am not sure what bus size and L2 cache size are. I've read on some hardware guides that not just processing speed is that important as much anymore. So I'd like to know what exactly am I looking for in a p4 processor?

Once I figure out motherboard + CPU I can easily find out what type of ram I need, I just need a help on determining motherboard+CPU.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

well if you're looking for a p4 processor frequency is pretty important. i won't get technical on you but AMD's cpu's frequency doesn't matter. my 2.0ghz cpu will ouperform a 3.8ghz p4

Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!
Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300

i say you get a sempron... considering your only going to be playing old games.... why spend that much more just to be way overkill for such light games? i say a sempron 2800+ or something around that area
Current Build:
Intel 3770k @ 4.4 GHZ | Galaxy GTX 770 SLi | 16 GB G.Skill Sniper | ASrock z77 Extreme4
2xSamung 840pro 128GB in Raid | 2x1TB Seagate | Antec 750 Watt GamerSeries
Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
Old 01-25-2006, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

i agree, why are you upgrading for such light use, and why are you upgrading quite so much?

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 01-25-2006, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to FghtinIrshNvrDi Send a message via Yahoo to FghtinIrshNvrDi

Well, a socket 754 sempron 2600 setup is really affordable. It's like 150 bucks. That's what I'd do in his situation. He probably just likes being able to click on something and not have to wait all day.

AMD Sempron 64 2600+ ~$65

MSI K8MM-V Socket 754 with onboard video ~$55

CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) ~$45

That should do alright I think.

<b>I'm an unhyphenated American.</b>
System Specs:
Intel Q6600 @ 3200 1.4v
Abit IP35 Pro "The Snake"
2x2gb A-Data @ 800
Diamond HD 3870 512mb

Great FORD TRUCK resource:
Closed Thread