A possible memory leak

By default? No it doesn't - only if you disable it manually, or run the SSD software's program to "optimize" usage or something similar. I keep SuperFetch on even with my SSD. RAM is still faster than SSD accessing - that's why a RAMDisk is still faster than an SSD.

Superfetch was introduced with Vista and continued with Win7 and on. Basically what it is, is the OS learns your most used programs and pre-loads them into RAM so that launching them is faster when you close/re-open the application.

If the OS needs the memory space that was pre-allocated to SuperFetch, then it will simply clear that used space and allocate that newly freed up space to the program(s) requesting memory space.

Edit: Ninja'd by PP.
I see that explains it pretty well. So you have to turn that on then?? You said you run that all the time??

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I see that explains it pretty well. So you have to turn that on then?? You said you run that all the time??

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

SuperFetch is enabled by default and runs automatically with the OS, since it's an OS function. There isn't any "manually" running it.

Carnagex I am using windows 8.1 64-bit I don't have a process that starts with my computer(disabled in task manager). I can't find a program that uses a lot of memory and ram is increased as the pc is opened.

Carnagex I am using windows 8.1 64-bit I don't have a process that starts with my computer(disabled in task manager). I can't find a program that uses a lot of memory and ram is increased as the pc is opened.
You have to open the services window.
You can go to the metro (start) menu and click pc settings. On the bottom you'll see an option for control panel. Click that, then in the list click administrative tools, then click services. Scroll down to Superfetch and double click it then click the drop down menu and click disabled. Reboot.

I should also ask what program you're using to scan for virus, and if you've used Malware Bytes yet.

Back
Top Bottom