Is this possible....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannywilliam

Baseband Member
Hello,

I own a 3 year old HP computer and I want to get better performance than this computer can achieve.

I have already upgraded my memory, video card and DVD burner. This computers motherboard doesnt even have an AGP slot, let alone a PSI-E slot so upgrading further is out of the question.

My Motherboard can only support 512 megs of RAM and I have thrown that in here. Honestly, I didnt even see a jump in performance when I did that anyway. It was recognized but slight in performance boost, so very slight.

My Processor is a sinlge core 2.4 ghz P4 and my Motherboard only supports an upgrade to 2.7. I also have to remain at a 2.7 single core CPU so that 300 MHZ jump would really add much to performance.

My DVD burner is great but my other system specs make it impossible to burn at anything higher than 4x and even then I get a skip or two in each DVD.

SO, here is my question:

Can I just buy a new Motherboard, compatible CPU and Memory to throw in this tower? I mean, just LITERALLY swap out my motherboard and keep all other components?

I undrstand that I would prolly have to re-install Windows but Im cool with that.

I Was looking into getting a good but now "top of the line" cpu/mobo combo. I was thinking of maybe an:

AMD 4800+ "Toledo" CPU

and put that into an

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe MOBO with a gig or two of 3200 DDR memory.

I figure it would GREATLY increase performance while doing it for as little as 500-600 bucks.

ANyone know or think this would work? Any kinks to iron out?

Thanks

An AMD setup would be a waste of money to be honest with you right now. I'm a huge fan of AMD's but right now the way to go is intel's line of core 2 duos. If you're planning on getting a new motherboard and CPU combo the C2D would be the way to go, but if I'm not mistaken you'll have to upgrade your ram. And regardless of whether or not you go intel or AMD you're going to need a new power supply. Also, The other problem is you're not going to want a board with onboard graphics so you're gonna need to purchase a video card aswell. Well, Basically there's nothing you can do with an HP with no upgrade possibilities so you're better off building a new computer from scratch and salvaging what you can from the HP, but that's only if you really NEED the improvement in performance. You might think you do, but think about what you really use your computer for before you go spending hundreds to have a high performance computer running AIM, Internet explorer flash games and myspace.

Thanks fo the reply.

A had a few typos in my first post. First, I do not think that a 300 mhz jump is worth it. haha...

Also, the components I thought of buying are not "top of the line" and I know that. Just a typo.

I also forgot to throw in a new Vidocard as well.

Ok, reply to your post..

How much would an Intel Duo cost comparesd to the AMD 4800+ Toledo CPU?

I am actually not really overflowing with cash and this upgrading would be a sort of gift to myself. I am moe than a casual computer user.

I game ALOT! Well, used to before games required so much power to run the way they were made to. I havent been able to play a new game with great performance since DOOM 3. Even then, it was on its average settings.

I would just like to keep my HD, onboard audio with the new MOBO, keyboard, monitor, mouse, ect...

While only upgrading the vital things such as MOBO, CPU, RAM and Videocard to a GOOD but not top of the line level.

Thanks for any info/advice.

Thanks alot!

I like the revies and the prices would save me about $100.

Im going to do a bit more research but I thanks you alot for this help!

Im typing very poorly because I got off of work at 11pm (Eastern time) and had a few drinks as I surf around a bit.

Thanks alot and I may have some more questions/comments so anything more would be great.

If not, a appreciate the heck out of your replies!

Thanks!

DW

WAIT! haha....sorry..

Can this MOBO run with 2 cards in SLI mode?

I want to eventually get two cards that can do that and didnt see it in any reviews.

Thanks.

That one can't run SLI as it only has one PCI e slot but in my opinion it would be better just to get one strong video card rather than 2 mediocre ones. I haven't heard anything really amazing about SLI technology so I'd tend to stay away from it if I were you. Just stick to one good video card, however if you are dead set on going SLI, then you could search newegg for a socket T SLI board, I'm sure there's tons out there just make sure you ask around about the board before you buy it.

I really can't offer too much advice on this one, as I know AMD's stuff, not Intel's.

I can build you a socket 939 rig for the money, but they're old hat and soon to be phased out. But it would still rock your world coming from a P4 2.4.

My rig would dazzle you, anyway. It ain't anywhere near the top of the line now, but it'll play anything.

DONT FORGET, youre probably going to have to get a new case. Most HP cases are built for Micro-ATX, and i'd assume you'd want to get a standard ATX motherboard. Also, getting a new PSU would probably require you to get a new case as well, since it might be a really tight fit depending on the size of the hp case.

Aw, ****..

I didnt think I would need a new case.

IS there a way you could tell by knowing the brand of HP computer I have?

I have an:

A335W

it was made about 3-4 years ago and while i looked to see if it would fit, I cant find any ifno and I dont know the diference between MOBO sizes.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom