Poll: Would you rather build or buy... - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
View Poll Results: Which processor should I get for gaming?
AMD Opteron 170 ($399) 6 54.55%
Amd Athlon 64 X2 3800+ ($297) 3 27.27%
Something else in this price range 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2006, 03:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

There was a magazine out recently with a guide in it. If you read PC Powerplay over there, they had a guide in issue #116 I think. Maybe you can buy old copies direct from then? PC Gamer also had a guide, I think that was their December issue or something.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:44 AM   #22 (permalink)
Super Techie

get someone to help you out thats what i did now and after that first time its been a breeze im sure someone where you live has built their own computer

AMD 3200
2x512 coasair valueselect
eVGA 6800gs
MSI Neo4-f
Anec true power 480 watts

-92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy this.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:09 AM   #23 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to RockyZ

Ever since grade 7, I realized there was no reason to have a PC unless it was built by myself. Always wondered why my HP was o crappy, spent like 400 bucks and built a computer 3x better than the HP I bought.

If you built your computer, and something goes wrong, you KNOW whats wrong. Don't let someone build it for you, how can you possibly know that they put any real effort in building the PC.
I can't find any free guides, You have to pay for them -.-", The free guides are outdated, the mobo changed, AGP - PCI etc.

Its kind of funny how the guide was in the same forum as this post isn't it?

AGP and PCI-E mobos are the same, its just that PCI-E slots are different size and you can also fit 2 cards in some PCI_E mobos.

G. Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR800
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB
super pi: 1m=20s
Old 03-12-2006, 01:32 AM   #24 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to FunkMaster66

building it yourself is better. learn somthing new
Amd Sempron 2500+
ECS K7VTA3 mobo
1 gig Ram
Asus N6600
Antec 300 Watt PSU
19\" LCD
Logitech Mouse & Keyboard
Antec SOHO sx1030 Server
Old 03-12-2006, 02:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Originally posted by RockyZ
That thread is good for choosing components, but not for putting your computer together.

Don't worry though Kazama, when I get my parts for my new build, hopefully in April, I wanna try and make a step-by-step photo tutorial. Will be alot easier that way.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:00 AM   #26 (permalink)
Newb Techie

So, the majority speaks for itself. Shucks, I had thought building pc's for people was a good idea..oh well.

As for the guy that can't find a computer building guide- just because the mobo or changes does not make it any different (or in many cases harder) to build. The idea and the process to build a pc remains the same. Changes like AGP to PCI....just stick our video card in the slot that fits. Ba da bang! lol. The first pc I built, I had no prior knowledge of builting one except knowing to touch metal before I get in there (but I think that was more common sense). For all newbies...I would recommend exploring the inside of your computer...

Geez...now I sound like an instruction guide :-D. I guess im done before fried n00bs start chasing me down.

Closed Thread