Please review my choice of MoBo and Case for new system!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugi

Solid State Member
Hello everyone!

Finally, after the longest time I have my gfx card (GeForce 6800GT OC AGP 256MB GDDR3) and an Antex TPII-430 PS to go along with it. Since I could, pretty much, fit neither into my old case, I have decided to take the jump and build a system from scratch. To that extent I did some shopping and store browsing and settled on what I believe is a good choices for a Motherboard and what looks like a cool case. Please check them out and tell me what you think!

For the motherboard I chose the ASUS P5P800. It has the AGP slot for my gfx card, supports P4 chips and DDR memory (I think :p ). Also, I was told that the 800 FSB means for much better overall performance.

For the case I chose the Titanium Quantum PC Case. Not sure what the front LCD display is really worth or what use is the front fan that is hidden behind the lockable panel, but I thought it would look acceptable both at home and at lan parties.

Please let me know what you think of both the Mobo and the Case! I am especially confused by the number of variations of the ASUS P5P800 mobo. As I've aluded to above, my main concerns are that the Mobo can handle P4s, DDR and has 1 AGP slot. The rest... the most bang I can get for my buck the better! I would say that my budget is roughly $150.00 for each item. Any comments or suggestions very appreciated! :)

Edit: What do you think is the "upgrade potential" of the above-listed mother board?

the socket you chose has pretty good upgrade potential, althought rather pricey... intel chips, in general, tend to cost more for the performance compared to AMD.

ASUS makes good solid Intel boards, but I would try to find something with SATA hdd support. (serial ATA)... if you're worried about upgrading and the future, go with SATA. It allows transfer speeds that someday will be utilized by hdd's.

also, i'm not sure but can't you find a board that supports DDR2 memory for that socket? it's alot faster...

that case....................>>>>pretty bad@$$.<<<<

honestly, and i mean this as a former intel fanatic, if you want the best bang for your buck, go AMD. but certain tasks are better with intel, and I'm sure you have a good reason for choosing that brand, yes?

Awesome!

I will keep that mobo in mind as a springboard for what I want and ask if there is anything similar with SATA support and that will take DDR2 memory. If not, then no worries. This is the first time I've "upgraded" in my whole life, so I am guessing these upgrades (well, technically the whole computer) will last me a long time :p

As for chosing Intel - my only reason is that I'm a fanatic. I saw the prices on the chip that I want to eventually get a 3.2 ghz (don't remember the socket) and it was like 600 bux :eek: I'll try to make it work though :p

Thank you for the compliment on the case. I think I'll take the plunge and buy it. 30 bux rebate if I do so before new years :D

If anyone else would offer recommendations or suggestions, I would be glad to hear :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom