Status
Not open for further replies.

Anorion

Beta member
Ok this is the config I have, which is three years old
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA 81945GZME
Proc: Pentium D
Ram: 2x512 MB DDR2

Need something slightly better than an entry level graphics card. Don't play too many games, but don't want things like spore or Quake4 to run sluggishly.

Depends on what res you run at, and if you don't mind medium settings.

Seeing as you have PCI-E, something like a 4830 would be a good idea unless you want a bit more power than that; I don't know what Spore requires. Alternatively, on the nVidia spectrum you could get a 9800 or GTS250.

Though tbh I'd upgrade the RAM first, your board can take a maximum of 2GB.

It would also be helpful to know what PSU you have.

4850s are pretty cheap right now, youc an get them for under 100 bucks.

Agreed with the Hikari and Yami, telling us your PSU and budget would be a good place to start

Hey, first of all thank you for taking the time to answer this. I have an iBall LPE223-400 PSU. My Budget is around 80 bucks, but I'll go upto 120 if I get a good deal.

Hmm, well the only information I could get on your power supply is that it does 17A on the 12v rail. Can you take a look at it and see how many PCI-E connectors it has, if any?

They will look exactly or similar to this:
pcie6index.jpg

Image source: All about the various PC power supply cables and connectors

A 4850 would be bottlenecked by the pentium D. The 4770 however would be a good fit. Also, if your motherboard supports it an upgrade to a Pentium Dual core (not the same as Pentium D) or a low end Core 2 Duo would help also.

^iBall PSU pdf
I'd say you're right, he appears to be talking about the PCIe pwr connecter. And I think he'd be right. only one 12v rail, and only 17A on it. Not likely there's going to be any connectors there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom