Please help: regarding upgrading/or purchasing new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CliffordStrange

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and I have very limited computer knowledge concerning hardware and specs (things have moved on quite a bit since I last invested in a PC in 2001...). Any help and information would be greatly appreciated!

I previously only used my PC to play WoW and Rome: Total War, however I am considering purchasing the new Bioware MMO, Star Wars: The Old Republic.

However, even though any GPU, RAM and CPU names mean nothing to me nowadays, I am mighty sure that my meager little Dell Vostro 200 will not run this game.

My question is, would I be able to cheaply upgrade my current PC to run this game? If so what additional GPU, RAM or CPU would people recommend? Or, if even with certain upgrades my current PC would not be able to run this game, what cheapish PC would people recommend? All I would require from the computer is to run the new MMO on fairly high settings with a very stable frame rate.

My current computer specs are:

Dell Vostro 200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz Processor
2 GB of RAM
232 GB Hard Drive
Nvidia Geforce8300GS

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks!:big_smile:

First off... do you have the slim version or the micro tower?

Secondly, what is your potential budget?

Thank you very much for your speedy reply Trotter!

I have the Micro Tower not the slim version (which I purchased as I hoped it would allow me more space to upgrade in the future! I hope...)

I am not 100% sure on my budget, roughly between £200 - £300, however if slightly more money is needed to ensure a stable machine I would probably invest more. I was looking at a whole new PC which was roughly £500, so anything less than that is a bonus, and I do not really want to spend that much just to play one game really. Thanks again.

Edit: additional information. The 7 character service number on the machine is: FJWP33J.

From what I can gather the power supply is only 160W, which seems very low... The label is mainly in Chinese however it does state "Do not exceed 160W power outage" and I can see 160W written on the label. I'm guessing I would need a new power supply for a new Graphics Card? Is that easy to change?

Edit 2:
There are two additions I am thinking of adding after additional research:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...-160-EA&tool=3
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MY-203-CS
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

Firstly would I be able to add these components to my PC? And if so should that allow me to run Star Wars: The Old Republic on decent settings? If so it seems quite a cheap option!

1. you'll need to replace the power supply in order to sufficiently power that video card.
2. your computer only takes DDR2 memory.

if you have the micro tower like you stated, you should be able to replace these items easily. the gtx 460 1gb should run the game very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom