please help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlpdarren

Solid State Member
Hello.

I bought a new video card, a nvidia 7300le pci-express and have installed it into my computer and turned on the computer, but when booting up i get an error message saying " 921-device in pci express slot failed to initialize". The computer shop i purchased this from said i may need to change the bios or update it, can someone please help me to do this? I have no idea how to upgrade a bios or how to change settings in a bios in order for this to work.

My computer is a hp compaq dc7100 sff with 3.6ghz ram, 2.5gb, 2 x pci slot and 1 x pci-express 16 slot.

thanks

ok ure specs r a little convuluted but from wat i can see u should be able to update the bios by using your old graphics card to boot (can you?) and downloading a bios update
then write it to a disk (floppy?) and boot your computer with it
dont quote me but it should be a process similar to this
first though wat u have to do is find out the manufascturer of ure mobo
uits model and ure bios version
once u have done that u can easily find tutorials and updates for it

gday.

Thanks for the assistance. I am fairly new to computers.
I do not have an 'old' vid card, just the factory graphics. I have been to the HP website and got the most recent update for the bios and did a flash reboot with the new vid card installed but am still getting the same error message. this is all the info i have on my system.

Bios Type: Compaq Basic
Bios Date: 04/05/05
Bios ID: Hewlett-Packard 097Ch BIOS Version: 786C1 v02.14
Chipset: Intel 2580 rev 4
Os: Microsoft Windows XP Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
CPU Type: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz
CPU Speed: 3600ghz
Memory Installed: 2560 MB
Bios Rom In socket: No

Is this information of any use?

Thanks for the help.

did you disable the integrated graphics in the bios? (and enable pci-express slot..)

with the 7300le in, try plugging your monitor into the integrated graphics port, and see what happens.. if it works.. then i guess the intragrated is still on and you haven't disabled it..

Hi Aliasaid

No i am not sure how to do this.

When i plug my monitor into the graphics vga output it just says "Power saving mode" as if it has no signal. Right now it is plugged into the current factory vga output that came with the computer.

Can you tell me how to enable the pci port and disable the integrated graphics?

Thanks!

ok, the bios on my comp will differ from the bios on yours.. so the wording might be different.. but this is how i would do it on my comp..

in the bios, one of the categories is

"PnP/PCI"

and go to that, i get to choose what my primary graphic interface is..

if you don't have that same heading, just go in all of them and see where you're able to disable integrated graphics / choose your primary interface...

i guess first thing would be to enter your bios.. so initially do whatever that would allow you to use your monitor.. using your integrated i'm guessing...

Thanks for the reply.

Just to be clear.. the bios is when you push F10 during boot to go into the system setup is that right?

If so.. i have the following options available:

Bus Options:
PCI Serr# Generation >set to ENABLE
PCI VGA Palette snooping > set to DISABLE

PCI Devices:
Intel VGA controller >set to IRQ11
Intel USB controller >set to IRQ5
Intel USB controller >set to IRQ10
Intel USB controller >set to IRQ11
Intel USB controller >set to IRQ11
Intel Audio Device > Set to IRQ10
Intel IDE controller >Set to Enable
Intel SATA controller >Set to IRQ5

SMBUS Controller> Hidden

now i have no idea what any of that means, but is that the kind of thing you are talking about or have I gone into the wrong thing?

This is some confusing stuff.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom