Please help this dummy build a computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OregonNative

Beta member
Hey there,

I need your guys help building a computer. I'm sorry if I ask dumb questions, or these questions have been asked 1,000,000 times. I am very technologically crippled. I know almost nothing about using computers. The most advanced thing I can do is run ISO files and download torrents. That's about it. My current computer is a 2002-2003 Dell 2400 (POS).

Anyway, here are a few specs that I'd like in this build. Could you guys recommend some hardware, tips, suggestions?

1. I'd like at least 1 - 1.5 tb memory.
2. I'd like the ability for it to be a gaming computer.
3. Maybe this is stupid to say... but I would like it to be a fast computer. Mine takes like 20 minutes just to turn on..
4. No overheating problems (if possible).
5. Price range $800-1200.

A bit unrelated, but a few it would be nice to have!

1. Could you folks recommend a good sound system?
2. What screen do you recommend? I'd prefer a larger screen, high resolution, all that stuff.

That's really it fellas. Please excuse me. I'm a total technology dummy.

OK, 1TB+ HDDs aren't difficult to get. Samsung or Western Digital would be my go to guys there but really you can't go too wrong, it's all pretty much the same.
If you're going to be gaming, you should put a fair bit of that budget to a graphics card. We have a GPU performance list which you should definitely check out. We also have a PSU guide which you should read (the PSU is a very important component).
Getting a new computer which is both fast and free from overheating issues shouldn't be a problem and your ~$1000 budget should get you something really quite nice.
If you want a decent set of PC speakers, then something from the logitech z series might be what you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom