Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechthor

Solid State Member
Hello,

I hope this is the right place for me to ask for the help I need!

I just upgraded, well everything is new but the monitor, keyboard and mouse. So I guess I sould say I just built a system with all new components purchased from TigerDirect as follows:

Case = Cooler Master Centurion 5
Powersupply = Coolmax ATX 450w
Video = eVGA GeForce 6800 128mb AGP
Harddrive = Maxtor Ultra Series 100gb 8mb cache
Memory = Geil 1024mb PC3200 DDR 400MHz 2X512
Motherboard = MSI K8N NEO2-F Socket 939
Processor = AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
CD ROM = HP 16X DVD Double Layer Burner

The problem I am having is the same when I run XP PRO or XP Home Edition. My Pro version is with out sp1 or 2, the home version has sp1.

They both install ok and seem to boot ok. After that things start to freeze up when I try to open a window or try to load a driver from the CD rom. Although, the Pro version seem to work awhile long and better but still had the same problem. When it freezes
sometimes it will unfreeze itself after a long time of waiting with very little to no CD or HD activitiy. (I wait for it if I press my NUM LOCK button on the keyboard and the light turns on and off) If the light does not turn on and off I take that as it is locked up, so I then RESET the system. Upon reboot there is no Disc Check for improper Shut Down. Which I find real strange.

I can not even make it through my driver install most of the time,
A couple of times I did then I tried to open My Computer or something else and it freezes again. I have built, upgraded and fixed a few systems in my time, but have never came across something like this and its killing me. I have been using this old Celeron system for a long time just waiting for the day I could afford a better system, and up my kills in Tribes. Now I spent all that money, I am still using this old system and resting my feet on the new one ....sob...sob

Please, any help at all will be much appreciated.

I don't really know what else to try.

Thank you

Keith

Try the software forums or the OS forum down the page a little. Some of the guys may know here... but I hate software. Sorry...

Ryan

Is it a legit/unripped version of xp? ^_~. I had similar issues when i used a bootlegged version of 2000.

It's not likely it's a hardware malfunction though, especially if all the parts are new; read reviews on them and see if anyone else had similar issues. Who knows, it could be a mobo issue [for example], and someone else explains the problem.

But either way, it's probably better to check the software forums on somethin like this ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom