playing older game with a GTX 580x possible ? any SLI issues ? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Default playing older game with a GTX 580x possible ? any SLI issues ?

Hi guys.

My plan is to buy 1x GTX580x first. I will be playing good older games for the next couple months, then I'll buy a 2nd GTX580x (to set SLI with my first one) and start playing most recent game. But I have 2 concerns:

1st: SINGLE (1-way, non-SLI) mode (i.e 1x GTX580x):
I've heard that the GTX serie (or any recent serie) may have problem running older games because the card is simply too recent. Is that True ? (my feeling is that they just forgot to install the proper directx version for these game, but I really gotta make sure).

2nd: SLI mode (2-way, 3-way or 4-way SLI) (i.e GTX580x 3-way SLI):
I've also heard that some (even recent) games have problems running when GPUs are set in SLI (i.e GTX 580x 2-way, 3-way or 4-way SLI). Is that true ? (seems to be the same for ATI in crossfire)

If not, will this be a problem with older games ? (hopes not, cuz I might be forced to buy a single GTX590x instead (which I would not prefer..)


Thanks a lot for you help guys.
__________________

techmarcforum is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Sean W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Claremont CA.
Posts: 2,095
Default Re: playing older game with a GTX 580x possible ? any SLI issues ?

a lot of older games ( depends on how far back you wanna go ) are capped at a certian frame rate. for example, Battle Field 1942 is capped at 60fps... i dont care how awesome of a computer you have, its no possible to go over 60fps on that game...


Crossfire and SLI do scale different in some games, i think when the GTX 580 came out Crysis 2 could only run off one of the cards, then Nividia did a driver update and it works fine now... thats the way its always going to be, trying to optimize your hardware to work in perfect conjunction with your software
__________________

__________________
Modded Raidmax Hyperion Case
MSI Z97M Gaming
4770K
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Sean W. is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Default Re: playing older game with a GTX 580x possible ? any SLI issues ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
a lot of older games ( depends on how far back you wanna go ) are capped at a certian frame rate. for example, Battle Field 1942 is capped at 60fps... i dont care how awesome of a computer you have, its no possible to go over 60fps on that game...


Crossfire and SLI do scale different in some games, i think when the GTX 580 came out Crysis 2 could only run off one of the cards, then Nividia did a driver update and it works fine now... thats the way its always going to be, trying to optimize your hardware to work in perfect conjunction with your software

I'll play mostly last decade games (2000 +) only. What I want to make sure is that the only issue could have would be older games not detect my 2nd card, or simply not benefit from it.
Is that mostly the only issue I may have ?

If however older games get buggy or simply not work just because I have a SLI setting, I might reconsider my purchase.

Thanks for confirming that important point.
techmarcforum is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
tj_extreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
Posts: 812
Default Re: playing older game with a GTX 580x possible ? any SLI issues ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmarcforum View Post
I'll play mostly last decade games (2000 +) only. What I want to make sure is that the only issue could have would be older games not detect my 2nd card, or simply not benefit from it.
Is that mostly the only issue I may have ?

If however older games get buggy or simply not work just because I have a SLI setting, I might reconsider my purchase.

Thanks for confirming that important point.
If you're only planning on playing older games for the time being, save yourself the cash and go with a 550ti or a 6850. Even if you plan on playing newer games at decent framerates, you probably aren't going to need sli'd 580's, let alone 590's.
__________________
tj_extreme is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Default Re: playing older game with a GTX 580x possible ? any SLI issues ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_extreme View Post
If you're only planning on playing older games for the time being, save yourself the cash and go with a 550ti or a 6850. Even if you plan on playing newer games at decent framerates, you probably aren't going to need sli'd 580's, let alone 590's.
If you read my first post (first 2 lines) you'll get ur answer
techmarcforum is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
tj_extreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
Posts: 812
Default Re: playing older game with a GTX 580x possible ? any SLI issues ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmarcforum View Post
If you read my first post (first 2 lines) you'll get ur answer
Read my whole reply. You don't need a 580 for old games. I know you want to play new games eventually, but a single 580 will max out BF3 and Skyrim, unless of course you're playing on like 3 monitors or some insane resolution. What resolution do you monitor(s) do you play on?
__________________
tj_extreme is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Default Re: playing older game with a GTX 580x possible ? any SLI issues ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_extreme View Post
Read my whole reply. You don't need a 580 for old games. I know you want to play new games eventually, but a single 580 will max out BF3 and Skyrim, unless of course you're playing on like 3 monitors or some insane resolution. What resolution do you monitor(s) do you play on?
Thanks.
I won't ever be playing multi-screen, nor will I play 3D or watch 3D movies.
I'm not sure what screen I will get since I'm still in the process of choosing componant of my PC, but here are some componant I'm pretty sure to get:

CPU: i7 2700K
Memory: 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM (2x8gb)
HD: 150Gb SDD
PSU: some good branded 850 or 1000W
GPU: trying to choose one.. (had 580 in mind as you notice)
OS: Win7 64bit
Mobo: no idea yet
Cooling: same


I agree with you But the fact is... I also want to be able to try BTF3, the Witcher 2 and some of these latest game too..But since I will be playing a lil bit more of older games in the first months, I though it was just wise to go that way.. (Do you really think that my GTX580 will be too much powerfull for running older games on ultra setting like Doom3 and such... those are kind of demanding... ) Well, actually I have no idea...I would like to have that info (what's the highest requirement for playing maximum setting for any particular game)... that info would help me a lot.

All games company seems to provide both the minimum and recommended system requirement for all games they releases. But we don't have the "maximum" system requirement information. (what system is required to play the game on maximum setting).. Do we ? Because I never saw that kind of info and I'd love to have it...


Thanks
techmarcforum is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
GhOsT1321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 804
Default Re: playing older game with a GTX 580x possible ? any SLI issues ?

There are many reasons for a company NOT to provide the requirements for maximum settings with perfect FPS. They would have to get very technical, and go extensive research and testing to be sure they are correct. This would be a waste of money, as your average gamer does not want to max out a game.
To max out a game depends largely on your resolution. I can max nearly any game with my 6850 and get consistent 40+FPS. This is because my resolution is smaller than most are using lately. My resolution is 900 x 1440 (1,296,000 pixels). Many use 19201080 (2,073,600 pixels) or higher. The later resolution has 62.5% more pixels, and thus, the video card has to populate those pixels. This requires more graphical processing power.

About 8-9 years ago, the old CRTs were 640 x 480 (307200 pixels). 720HD being 1280 x 720 (921600 pixels). The lowest resolution in TVs considered to be HD, 720 has over 3 times the amount of pixels.

Resolution plays a large role in system requirements for any game.
__________________
Build to be updated, a reminder to myself.
GhOsT1321 is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Default Re: playing older game with a GTX 580x possible ? any SLI issues ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT1321 View Post
There are many reasons for a company NOT to provide the requirements for maximum settings with perfect FPS. They would have to get very technical, and go extensive research and testing to be sure they are correct. This would be a waste of money, as your average gamer does not want to max out a game.
To max out a game depends largely on your resolution. I can max nearly any game with my 6850 and get consistent 40+FPS. This is because my resolution is smaller than most are using lately. My resolution is 900 x 1440 (1,296,000 pixels). Many use 19201080 (2,073,600 pixels) or higher. The later resolution has 62.5% more pixels, and thus, the video card has to populate those pixels. This requires more graphical processing power.

About 8-9 years ago, the old CRTs were 640 x 480 (307200 pixels). 720HD being 1280 x 720 (921600 pixels). The lowest resolution in TVs considered to be HD, 720 has over 3 times the amount of pixels.

Resolution plays a large role in system requirements for any game.
Just found a site that does it:
game-debate. c o m
techmarcforum is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
GhOsT1321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 804
Default Re: playing older game with a GTX 580x possible ? any SLI issues ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmarcforum View Post
Just found a site that does it:
game-debate. c o m
I was unable to find where the requirements are for maximum settings with perfect FPS.
I found hardware calculators, but they did not mention what resolution, or what quality the game was being played at.
__________________

__________________
Build to be updated, a reminder to myself.
GhOsT1321 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GTX 285's SLI VS GTX 560 TI's SLI kpat99 System Upgrades 0 12-10-2011 04:48 PM
NVIDIA Fermi - GTX 470 - GTX 480 - GTX 480 SLI Review Osiris New Technology and Products 0 03-29-2010 02:38 PM
NVIDIA Fermi - GTX 470 - GTX 480 - GTX 480 SLI Review Osiris New Technology and Products 1 03-26-2010 11:23 PM
HD 4870 X2 VS GTX 280 SSC Edition VS GTX 260's in SLI Luke2 New Systems | Building and Buying 19 09-27-2008 10:49 AM
9800 GTX vs. SLI vs. 3-way SLI. vs. Quad SLI veg1992 New Technology and Products 2 05-31-2008 10:59 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.