Picking out a GPU

MinisculeMax

Solid State Member
Hey everyone! Long story short, i've been wanting to 60FPS, High texture game for a long ass time, and have never really had the money to have proper hardware.

Now i'm getting a new GPU, and was wondering if I could be thrown some help.
After a lot of searching I came across THIS and compared it to things like THIS and was just wondering what the catch with the first card was. I'm looking to spend roughly $90-120 on a card.

I'm looking for all the advice I can get.

Edit: I'd just like to know if card #1 is good for the price.

Here are my PC specs, in case anyone spots a problem or something:

Last edited:
The 250x is a pretty slow card with even less shader cores than the 260x. Depending on what games you want to play you won't be doing 60fps with high textures with either card listed. You will also need a new PSU before using either video card. If you're young and getting money is an issue then I suggest placing your sites a little lower and getting a 750ti instead.

The 250x is a pretty slow card with even less shader cores than the 260x. Depending on what games you want to play you won't be doing 60fps with high textures with either card listed. You will also need a new PSU before using either video card. If you're young and getting money is an issue then I suggest placing your sites a little lower and getting a 750ti instead.

I'm only looking to play mid level games at 60FPS. I'm not interested in the powerhouses that are Crysis and so on, just games like Divinity: Original Sin, Spec Ops: The Line, and so on. Also, could you link me a cheap 750Ti please?

thank you

Last edited:
Even midlevel games can be difficult sometimes to play at 60fps on lower end hardware with higher settings.

The cheapest 750ti I know of is this one.
EVGA 02G-P4-3753-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card - Newegg.com

It's out of your price range, but so are the other cards because you'll need a PSU upgrade to run them.

I know i'm asking a lot, but would it be possible for you to find me a card that's in my price range, doesn't require a power upgrade, and could either play BF4 on lowest settings with decent framerates, or let's say.... Divinity Original sin, on mid graphics.

BF4 Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, AMD Athlon X2 2.8 GHz or better
CPU Speed: Info
RAM: 4 GB
OS: Windows Vista SP2 32-Bit (with KB971512 System Update)
Video Card: 512 MB AMD Radeon HD 3870 / NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or better
Divinity: Original Sin Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6600 or equivalent
CPU Speed: Info
RAM: 2048 MB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB) or ATI Radeon HD 4850 or Intel HD 4000 or equivalent

There's no way you can get 20 more dollars? The 750ti is the best card that sucks the least juice at a total of 66w. Your PSU is a 250w peak, as in the most you can get from it is 250w and even then you're looking at a possible blow out. The 750ti actually is faster and consumes 10w less than the 750 at 66w total draw. The 750 and 260x are kind of neck and neck performance but the 260x takes 118w draw off the PSU leaving you at about 3/4 the PSU is actually capable of outputting. Then add on full load CPU which would be about 50-60w and with the 260x you're looking at a maximum capable draw each time you play a game. So if you had to buy a card that was less than $120 while trying hard not to blow up your PSU the GTX 750 would be the best card you could get efficiency to output wise.

EVGA 01G-P4-2751-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card - Newegg.com

There's no way you can get 20 more dollars? The 750ti is the best card that sucks the least juice at a total of 66w. Your PSU is a 250w peak, as in the most you can get from it is 250w and even then you're looking at a possible blow out. The 750ti actually is faster and consumes 10w less than the 750 at 66w total draw. The 750 and 260x are kind of neck and neck performance but the 260x takes 118w draw off the PSU leaving you at about 3/4 the PSU is actually capable of outputting. Then add on full load CPU which would be about 50-60w and with the 260x you're looking at a maximum capable draw each time you play a game. So if you had to buy a card that was less than $120 while trying hard not to blow up your PSU the GTX 750 would be the best card you could get efficiency to output wise.
EVGA 01G-P4-2751-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card - Newegg.com

Alright, thank you.

I'm quite strapped for cash currently (bar the necessity of food and what not), so I can either go with this setup.. or maybe wait another month or so.

I've been waiting many years to actually experience games in 60FPS, so I guess i'm just finally starting to get really impatient and desperate. (Especially since i've nothing to play, and everything i'd like to play is out of my range.)

Would you be able to find me a cheap-o power supply?
Keep in mind I have 0 clue as to how to install this hardware, so we're talking GPU cost + Power supply cost + combined shipping & handling + tax + Instillation fee from a PC shop.

Ideally i'd love a $2,000 gaming rig, but I don't have that kind of spare money, and most likely never will.

Last edited:
It takes nothing to learn how to install this so don't worry about overpaying some smuck to do something so simple to do. Newegg themselves have several tutorial videos on how to install hardware.

The cheapest PSU I could recommend is the CX430 which has free shipping.
CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

This particular 750 has free shipping as well as a 15 dollar MIR.
Asus GeForce GTX 750 1GB Video Card (GTX750-PHOC-1GD5) - PCPartPicker

It takes nothing to learn how to install this so don't worry about overpaying some smuck to do something so simple to do. Newegg themselves have several tutorial videos on how to install hardware.

The cheapest PSU I could recommend is the CX430 which has free shipping.
CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

This particular 750 has free shipping as well as a 15 dollar MIR.
Asus GeForce GTX 750 1GB Video Card (GTX750-PHOC-1GD5) - PCPartPicker

Thanks a bunch, i'd give more "thanks" but I need to thank someone else first, and you're the only one to help me. If I have any more questions i'll bump this thread (i'll probably have more soon)

Back
Top Bottom