Perhaps Build a Computer - Need Your Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

undefined

In Runtime
Hi guys,

This is my situation. I have a few parts laying around that I got free after rebates from times like BF, and other holidays. I have a few parts that are not being used (haven't been opened) and would like to perhaps build a computer.

I'm looking to build a computer for either of two uses: for CS:Source/HL2 --or-- just a PC to fool around with on linux. If I do build the linux one, I'd still like to put in decent parts in the PC. Nothing high end, just something decent.

Here is what I have:

Operating System - I can get any MS product for free (legally through my college)... so no need for an OS.

Ultra Wizard ATX Case - Blue

Ultra V Series 500 Watt ATX Power Supply
  1. 20/24 Pin Motherboard Connector
  2. 4pin +12 Mobo Connector
  3. 4 pin Molex Connectors
  4. PCI Express Connector
  5. SATA Connectors
  6. 4 Pin Floppy Connectors
  7. 120 mm fan
Samsung 22" Monitor, 225BW

Adaptec DuoConnect PCI card for USB/Firewire (3 USB 2.0 ports, 2 FW)

Maxtor 200GB Hard Drive (internal) (currently in an external enclosure, though I'll take it out for the PC).

I really don't know how much a decent system would cost me, but I'm not looking to spend that much. A few hundred, maybe less than $200? Is that a feasible number?

Could anyone give me some advice? I haven't really built a system before, so I'm not sure what components go with what.

Thanks.

Sounds like you have quite a bit already! :D I'd look into a pair of Sony DVD-RW drives (with lightscribe if you really want to go all out), also a graphics card. I've had good luck with ATI, so check around because the prices are dropping every time a new one comes out -- it seems. Here's one you might want to check out:

www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=7465054&oext=1038A&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7465054

As for your CPU, don't get anything under 2 Ghz, cause they're SLOOOOW.... believe me! I've heard that AVG makes good CPUs, but I've never really tested one against an Intel, so I don't have much to say on that. My Intel Celeron 2.9Ghz gives a lot of speed to my system, and it has a monster of a cooling fan, so no worries about overheating while gaming, etc. :)

Go for at least 1GB of RAM for this system, 2GB would be better. If you're planning to install Vista, you'll need about 2GB because Vista is a memory HOG!! (And I'm of the belief that XP Pro whips Vista's bottom any day.) :rolleyes:

Very good choice on the 500W power supply too. :)

If I'm missing anything here, please let me know -- Happy to help!

Can you perhaps help me out on specific parts for the computer? I'm not too sure what to look for.

Great advice so far, thanks.

Whoa, that's going to be one sweet computer! :D :) Post a pic of it when you're done!! :cool:

How easy is the hookup? Well, if you like what you're doing the time will fly. :) I don't know much about installing motherboards or video cards, but..... Make sure you configure your disc drive's rear jumper block properly before booting to the BIOS, or you're apt to run into some conflicts. Select which IDE slot on the motherboard you want it in, (PRIMARY OR SECONDARY) then decide if you want it as a MASTER or SLAVE. If it's your first drive on that slot, you'll want it as a master, so check your hard drive manual for the proper jump block config. After you boot to BIOS, configure the setup to the way you have it in the computer's case. (It should set up properly on it's own, but I've some BIOS systems do otherwise, LOL!)

Also, make sure you have your memory in the motherboard before you boot, otherwise your computer screen is going to be pretty dark....... :freak: :confused:

And make sure you plug everything into the power supply. :p LOL, one time I forgot to plug the silly CD drive into that, and I was like: "Dude, how come I can't boot to the Windows disc????? Oh yeah, plugging it in would help....duh......"

Btw, that CPU that Nukem recommended -- way to go!! :D I didn't know you could even get dual-cores at that price. I'm behind the times I guess. I'd go for it.....

Let us know if you need any more help. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom