Performance Upgrade - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Question Performance Upgrade

Will a mobo upgrade provide a performance boost on its own or not? In more detail here is what I am going to do and I was wondering whether it will provide a performance boost on it's own or do you also need to put better components on it as well? I currently have a foxconn 45gm with 4GB of RAM with a 2.2 GHz dual core cpu, and I am going to put a Asus P5QL-VM EPU Socket LGA775 Motherboard in my pc. Will this mobo on it's own provide a performance boost, and I don't mean in the was that becuase of the chipset I will then be able to utilise all the RAM on my PC. I mean will a mobo upgrade provide a performance boost in the same way putting more RAM or a faster CPU in your PC would?

<<<< I JUST WANT AND NEED SOME REP!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Performance Upgrade

It could.
But only a marginal performance boost.
You probably won't notice it.
Benchmarks could pick up the tiny differences though.
You would notice a difference if you were getting a better IGP and you were using mobo integrated graphics, or if your old motherboard couldn't do some function that your CPU was capable of, or allow some amount of bandwidth your GPU was capable of using, but your new mobo could.

Otherwise, no I don't believe you'll see a large difference.

One more place they have differences though, is the BIOS.
Some motherboards are much better for overclocking than others.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If it is built with higher quality parts and it has a better bios (more options) then yes if your an overclocker. Otherwise the difference will probably be minimal.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Okay then thanks forthe headsup. I don't really want to overclock but I think i may be able to overclock this mobo which I can't do with my current mobo. The main reason I am actually buying this mobo is because as I have already said my current mobo will only allow me to use 3.25 of my 4GB RAM, and I still have the 2GB that I took out so I can then have 6GB of RAM in my PC. I will also be able to buy a quad core cpu whereas with my current mobo the only cpu upgrade that I can currently have is to a core 2 duo 2.4 or something silly like that so it's not worth the expense.

As I have said this mobo upgrade is to mainly enable me to add more RAM and add a fasterCPU which will give me the performance boost that I want. I was asking about a performance boost from the mobo to see if it would also give me a boost as I had been told that mobo's do also but I think I may have got the wrong end of ths stick.

Cheers Chaps

Old 03-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFCJohnSmith View Post
Okay then thanks forthe headsup. I don't really want to overclock but I think i may be able to overclock this mobo which I can't do with my current mobo. The main reason I am actually buying this mobo is because as I have already said my current mobo will only allow me to use 3.25 of my 4GB RAM, and I still have the 2GB that I took out so I can then have 6GB of RAM in my PC. I will also be able to buy a quad core cpu whereas with my current mobo the only cpu upgrade that I can currently have is to a core 2 duo 2.4 or something silly like that so it's not worth the expense.

As I have said this mobo upgrade is to mainly enable me to add more RAM and add a fasterCPU which will give me the performance boost that I want. I was asking about a performance boost from the mobo to see if it would also give me a boost as I had been told that mobo's do also but I think I may have got the wrong end of ths stick.

Cheers Chaps
Everything I've read about the Foxconn 45GM suggests it CAN use 4Gb of RAM?
Only being able to use 3.25Gb out of 4Gb of RAM sounds like a 32 - bit operating system limitation.

TabBlogger : The 3GB-not-4GB RAM problem
Old 03-09-2010, 03:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

IT's the chipset that makes it only able to use the 3.25. I have Windows 7 64 installed but the 945 chipset is a 32 bit chipset so although the OS does recognise the 4GB it says it can only 3.25 is usable.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFCJohnSmith View Post
IT's the chipset that makes it only able to use the 3.25. I have Windows 7 64 installed but the 945 chipset is a 32 bit chipset so although the OS does recognise the 4GB it says it can only 3.25 is usable.
Wow, that sucks. :\ Sorry man.
At least you get to upgrade now. XD

Closed Thread