Pentium--Prescott, Northwood, Coppermine???

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisharris

Baseband Member
Whats the difference with all these processors--when we're talking about the core?

I just bought a P4 3.0ghz with a Prescott core. Works fine on my Gigabyte GA-81PE1000-G Rev 4.0 board.

I want to build a newer system for my dad. Looking at buying a bit slower processor--just to save the $$. He doesn't need a top-of-the-line system.

Can I just buy ANY P4 with ANY core--or are some of them prone to troubles?

Thanks in advance.

Prescott is newer than Northwood
Northwood is newer than coppermine
Pentium 4 processor use socket T(LGA 775) are all Prescott
Pentium D use Smithfield
If you want to built a P4 system, buy 6 series, they have 2mb L2 cache

amdrocks said:
Prescott is newer than Northwood
Northwood is newer than coppermine
Pentium 4 processor use socket T(LGA 775) are all Prescott

I just bought a P4 3.0ghz with a Prescott core and it's on a 478 socket.

Is 478 and LGA 775 the same thing??

Or are you just saying that ANY and ALL 775 socket P4 will have a Prescott core?

It seams to be running okay. CPU temp hasn't gone over 46c--but I DID install a ThermalTake solid copper heat sink and fan with heat riser tubes. It's a WHOPPER!! Keeps it cool--so I guess it's okay. It's got 1MB cache on L2 and 12x16 on L1.

I just want to know if it's okay to buy ANY of the older core P4 units for a system I'm building for my Dad. He's just gonna use it for surfing and word processing.

Is there a particular core--Northwood, Coppermine, Prescott--thats easier to cool--or maybe less prone to failures? Or is there one thats just total junk and I should stay away from it?

Thanks

no socket 478 and LGA 775 are totally different. the prescott core was released not long before the p4 migrated from socket 478 to 775. if your dad is only going to be surfing and typing then you could save hundreds of dollars just by buying an old pc. basically the newer the core the hotter it runs so i imagine coppermine would be the coolest running. (not from experience) you'd probably be better off just using a Celeron D if there is no chance this computer will be used for anything else

what about using AMD A64, lol
even CPU running at 100%, my temp. keeps below 40C using stock fan and heatsink.

amdrocks said:
what about using AMD A64, lol
even CPU running at 100%, my temp. keeps below 40C using stock fan and heatsink.

AMD--P4

Ford--Chevy

Whatever.

I simply chose to use the P4 because it's my first system build and I didn't want to try an AMD this time.

Next machine I build will have an AMD.

Then I can truly have an opinion on which is best. Right now--I'm a newbie to this and I just can't reasonably see how I could be brand loyal to 1 or the other.

I'll run the P4 for awhile.

I'm gonna build a machine for my wife and also build one for my Dad.

I'll probably use an AMD in my wifes machine. That way, I'll have 2 machines in the same house with different processors. I can run the same programs on both systems and see which one works better. Dad wants a Pentium.

Then--and only then--could I have an opinion as to which is better or worse.

Ya know what I REALLY think? 6 of 1 and 1/2 dozen of the other. For the average user--who isn't a gamer--they will probably BOTH work just fine for anything I could ever throw at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom