Pentium 4 or Core 2 Duo Laptop? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Pentium 4 or Core 2 Duo Laptop?

I want to buy a new laptop but not sure which to get.

What is the difference between Pentium 4, Core Solo, Core 2 Duo, and Celeron?

I know they have processor speeds. Is C2Duo 1.86Ghz supposed to be faster than a P4 2.4Ghz? What about core solo 1.86 and p4 1.86Ghz. And maybe Celeron 2.4Ghz and P4 2.4Ghz.

Pretty confused.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Core 2 duo is the get 2 core both running at 1.83 ect.... Core solo is a core 2 duo without a second core

it goes

Core 2 duo
Core duo
Core solo
Pentium M
Pentium 4 (i think p4 is better than P M for performance but way worse for laptop battery life)

in order of best to worst performance. In other words get either a core 2 duo or at worse a pentium M if hoping to save some cash. Core 2 Duo is about 10% faster than core duo with same ghz

Old 11-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Core Solo is a single core Core processor, Core 2 Solo would be a single core Core 2 processor. there are two versions of the Pentium 4 used in laptops. neither are as good as the Pentium M in terms of performance and battery usage. there is the standard Pentium 4 which is used in desktops and that chews through battery power very quickly. then there is the P4M (Pentium 4 Mobile) which is virtually the same but it's a bit better on Power consumption. i agree, Core 2 Duo is best.
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks guys
Old 11-04-2006, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Wait, I wasn't aware of C2D being used in laptops yet!? I bought a Core Duo laptop last weekend, thought it was the best Laptop CPU at the moment. Not that I keep up to date on Laptops, and not that it would have changed my decision (since I bought it for a bargain), but it would have been good to know.
AMD64 X2 4400+
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
2GB Kingston Hyper-X (2-3-2-6)
TT Big Typhoon
eVGA 7900GT KO Superclocked (650/1650)
250GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA2 HDD
Hiper Type-R 580W SLi PSU
19" Sony Trinitron CRT
Old 11-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

Dell laptops currently have Celeron M, Core Duo, and Core Solo. No Core 2 Duo, but maybe that's because i'm looking at the Canadian site?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yeah, because Dell is also dishing out a quad core PC - check cnet.

So I'm pretty sure they're up to date, I think they were one of the first manufacturers to shell out some of the first releases of the core 2 duo in a prebuilt system.
I believe victory only exist at the end, no matter how the factors present it.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Originally posted by talldude123
Dell laptops currently have Celeron M, Core Duo, and Core Solo. No Core 2 Duo, but maybe that's because i'm looking at the Canadian site?
I bought in canada off dell over a month ago and they had core 2 duos then. I believe dell was one of the first to incorporate core 2 duo in laptops. Check again man.

Closed Thread