Are PCI video cards that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRecluse

In Runtime
I don't plan on buying a new computer any time soon.. but I would like to play a few games, on better settings/ or it would be nice to be able to play them period.

right now i have just and integrated POS... but i don't have an AGP slot... will it be that big of a deal to get a PCI video card?

The fastest PCI videocards available at this point are in the Geforce FX series, or in the DirectX8 Radeon 9200 series. No further PCI videocards are planned, because there simply is not a large market for them.

If you want to be able to play games, a PCI videocard will suffice for games made in 2002 or before. A Radeon 9200SE for PCI will suffice at medium graphics settings for 2002 and earlier games. However, if you want to be able to play newer games than that, an AGP or PCIe card would be much, much better.

It depends largely on the games you want to play. Upgrading your motherboard would allow you to use newer AGP video cards, although that might not be possible depending on whether or not your system uses a proprietary layout (e.g. Dell).

but you can still play games on a pci video card...some really are not that bad...i saw a kid playing dod source on a pci vid card with mid grade settings...no lag either...don't know what kind of card or anything but i was in awe of a pos pci playing source

in other words eys you can add a pci video card...i would just upgrade to a new motherboard that supports your processorand ur ram and get it with an agp and go with an 8x agp card..much better gfx and better settings

well if i get a new motherboard,and video card, i'll have to get a new case and PSU, and if i go that far i might as well get more ram...

since AGP is on it's way out, there's no use making it outdated sooner... so this is pretty much leaving me no option than building a whole new computer

AGP is still an option, though I don't think they are making many new cards for that either, if you wanna do a small upgrade then go AGP, if you want a whole new computer and have the money to spend then I would go PCI E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom