pci gigabit netowork adapter.

Veraster

In Runtime
My desktop has only one pci-e slot (currently in use by the video card) and two empty pci slots. There are no pci-e 1x slots. The network adapter is only a 100 megabit adapter which is really like 12megabytes/sec. The idea is to make transferring large files between computers on my network faster.
Due the the 12megabyte/sec bottleneck, sending 10gb worth of stuff takes quite a while. My router and other computer is capable of transferring data through the network at 100mb/sec ("gigabit") but my desktop's network adapter is only capable of 12.5mb/sec.

So I just need a pci gigabit adapter for my desktop. Instead of spending an hour or two researching and comparing pci network adapters on google, i'm just going to ask on here because chances are someone will be able to answer my question without effort because of what they know from personal experience.

So what pci gigabit adapter should I get?

My desktop has only one pci-e slot (currently in use by the video card) and two empty pci slots. There are no pci-e 1x slots. The network adapter is only a 100 megabit adapter which is really like 12megabytes/sec. The idea is to make transferring large files between computers on my network faster.
Due the the 12megabyte/sec bottleneck, sending 10gb worth of stuff takes quite a while. My router and other computer is capable of transferring data through the network at 100mb/sec ("gigabit") but my desktop's network adapter is only capable of 12.5mb/sec.

So I just need a pci gigabit adapter for my desktop. Instead of spending an hour or two researching and comparing pci network adapters on google, i'm just going to ask on here because chances are someone will be able to answer my question without effort because of what they know from personal experience.

So what pci gigabit adapter should I get?
Just grab a cheap Intel one. Windows 7 is sure to have native drivers for any Intel based GigE card.

Also wanted to correct you because of my OCD. You put 100mb/s "gigabit". Gigabit is 1000Mb (megabit) per second, or 1Gb, which is max theoretical of 128MB (megabyte) per second. 100Mb has a max theoretical bandwidth of 12.5MB/s. When talking in networking it is crucial to capitalize the proper letters or else you can either sound stupid or look very ignorant while confusing people.
So remember:
Mb = Megabit
Gb = Gigabit
MB = Megabyte
GB = Gigabyte

I didn't say that with exact certainty. It has native drivers for one of my onboard but not the other. IIRC the only one Newegg has anymore they do according to the reviews.

Just grab a cheap Intel one. Windows 7 is sure to have native drivers for any Intel based GigE card.

Also wanted to correct you because of my OCD. You put 100mb/s "gigabit". Gigabit is 1000Mb (megabit) per second, or 1Gb, which is max theoretical of 128MB (megabyte) per second. 100Mb has a max theoretical bandwidth of 12.5MB/s. When talking in networking it is crucial to capitalize the proper letters or else you can either sound stupid or look very ignorant while confusing people.
So remember:
Mb = Megabit
Gb = Gigabit
MB = Megabyte
GB = Gigabyte
Ah yes I was a bit careless. 100megabytes doesn't equal 1gigabit lol. I should of just proof-read my post better. I kind of confused myself for a second too. Sorry about that.

I have Ubuntu dual booting alongside Windows 7 on my desktop that will be getting the new network card. Do almost all of these network cards work on Ubuntu?

Back
Top Bottom