PCI EXPRESS X1 SLOTS. WTF are they used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkk

Baseband Member
I've been up and down these forums and I haven't found a solid answer. I'm a bit worried because I am considering motherboards but when looking at those with only 2 PCI Express x16, 2 PCI (Regular), and 2 PCI X1, I question whether I'm going to run out of expansion room.

I know i'll use the regular PCI's for Sound and Wireless cards, WTF is there for PCI Express x1 slots?

I dunno. I still didn't see anything about right now, usage of the PCI Express x1 Slots. The article was about PCI being a promising competitor in the furture. Anything now though? Am I missing something?

isnt it just a PCI slot. so those are used for network adapters also. and wireless cards. ?

Two Flavors of Desktop PCI-Express: x1 and x16

Although PCI-Express is eventually forecast to be available in widths up to 32 lanes wide (PCI-Express x32), the first PCI-Express motherboards are expected to support:

x1 (250MBps)

x4 (1000MBps)

x16 (4000MBps = 250MBps x 16)

As Table 1 suggests, it's obvious that x1 slots will be used to replace PCI slots in desktop PCs and x16 is slated to replace AGP 8x.

So by replacing PCI slots, you're saying that in the future, they will be used for the cards now used solely in basic PCI?

BUT IS THERE ANYTHING RIGHT NOW THAT PLUGS INTO THE SLOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom