pci express graphics cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

fearlesstiger

Beta member
Why is it that i can't find pci express graphics cards that are compatible with pci e x8 interface ?..I can only ever find pci e x16 compatible graphics cards ..what solutions are there as i want to use my pci e x8 slot so i dont have to use one of my standard pci slots.

Even the online system scanner reccomended pci e x16 graphics cards for my dell poweredge, when it has a pci e x8 slot.

I would really appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on this issue.

Thanks

Well, actually, you'll find that a lot of cards work in the PCIe x8 slots. At least, that's what I've read. They must operate on the same voltages or something, because I've read in reviews on newegg, "And as a bonus, this card worked just fine in my PCIe x8 slot."

So I dunno... It's probably hit and miss.

Ryan

Thanks very much for your reply, i think i know why the guy gave my such a good deal on my dell poweredge...cos it had pci e x8 and not x16,..so my comp is old news...great.. :(.

I can see that the x16 simply wont work because it has no grooves and my pci e x8 is shaped so that only grooved cards will fit. Thats the simple reason why i could tell it wouldn't work.

Nevermind..

Dell... just the name gives me a chill down my spine.

Their monitors are good, and their lappys ain't bad, but their desktops... BRRRR!!!

Those built be the ones who will use it.

Outside of that, I like the really expensive ones... OverdrivePC, MainGear, Velocity, Falcon-Northwest, and the like.

Monarch can build a good custom system. Then there's Cyberpower and ibuypower, but I've heard mixed stories on them.

Last of all would be pre-builts (off-the-shelf). HP would be my first choice, then eMachine, Gateway... Dell wouldn't even be one the list.

I heard Gateway was kinda in cahoots with another company... but I can't remember which one... Anyone know?

Ryan

I'm pretty sure Gateway is with eMachines. Someone told me awhile ago that Gateway bought emachines and is now their lower end computers, but it could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom