PCI-Express based with a bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill65

Beta member
I have a dell dimension 1100 which only accepts PCI cards. I have read some where that you can get a bridge to overcome this and use PCI_E video cards.
Would anyone know where you can get such a card. Thanks, I'm in the UK.

i would say its probable. yet dumb because you would be using the PCI speed which is like 1. so you would be wasting your money. you'd be better off getting a new comp.

i would say its probable. yet dumb because you would be using the PCI speed which is like 1. so you would be wasting your money. you'd be better off getting a new comp.

Possible? Find me a bridge. This chipset doesn't even support PCI-E.

Thanks for the replies here is an extract from the article:

Texas Instruments Announces Availability of PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge
New Device Enables Transition from Legacy Products to Latest PCI Express Applications and Support Longer Distances

DALLAS —Texas Instruments Inc. announces another addition to its PCI Express product line with the availability of a new PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge. The XIO2000 allows seamless bridging between legacy PCI devices to the latest PCI Express applications used in PCs, docking stations, ExpressCard, split-chassis systems, and test and measurement instruments. (See PCI Express Landing for more information.)

Chip bridges legacy PCI devices to PCI Express-based applications

Thanks for the reply as you can tell i'm not a techie in any way.
I lifted this from a dell forum.

I just installed a PCI video card from VisionTek - ATI Radeon X1300 for $79 from CompUSA (price good through 9/15 online). It is PCI-Express based with a bridge, 256 MB RAM and Vista ready. I am very happy with it so far.

Stuart Berman

Dell Dimension 2400
Video Cards.... - Desktop - Video - Dell Community Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom