PCI-E Video Card Capable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

osokk

In Runtime
Hi I have a P4 2.4ghz cpu will a PCI-E Video card the 7800gtx work? I currently have a AGP card in my pc.

more likely than not, you probably wouldn't have both slots
but there are a few motherboards with both agp and pci-e

a good solution without having to upgrade your mobo would be a 6800 gt agp version

If you have AGP, you can't use PCI-E. Like new.puree said, there are a few mobos with both slots, but odds are 999 to 1 you ain't got one of them.

The 6800 GT and the 6800 GS are available in GAP, and I think the 6800 Ultra is or will be. ATI is also bringing out some of their higher end cards in AGP, but this will probably be the end of AGP from both companies.

ok i found out what mobo i have its a ECS M930 1.0 but i have looked online and cant find out if it can do pci-e also.

Trotter said:
If you have AGP, you can't use PCI-E. Like new.puree said, there are a few mobos with both slots, but odds are 999 to 1 you ain't got one of them.

The 6800 GT and the 6800 GS are available in GAP, and I think the 6800 Ultra is or will be. ATI is also bringing out some of their higher end cards in AGP, but this will probably be the end of AGP from both companies.

ok if my mobo wont support do you know a good pci-e mobo that is recommended?

There are all kinds.

If you're going to start from scrath, look at a socket 939 board. MSI, DFI, and Gigabyte are good. Be sure that the mobo you pick out has at least one PCI-E x16 slot. Look for SATA connections, as well as dual-channel memory support.

Buy what you can afford in a CPU. You can always upgrade later.

Buy RAM in sets of two, with a minimum of 512MB. 1 gig would be better (2x512).

Buy what you afford in the way of graphic card(s). The 7800 is the hottest thing going, but it ain't cheap.

Onboard sound works fine, unless you are an audiophile.

Toss in any extras you want and can afford, like a DVD burner, extra hard drive (RAID maybe), extra optical drive, extra fans, aftermarket heatsink and fan, whatever.

If you buy a new case, be sure that you get a decent power supply. The cheap cases come with a PSU, but they are junk. Go with Antec (they have cases with their PSUs), ThermalTake, PC Power, or Fortron. Get 500W or better.

Trotter said:
There are all kinds.

If you're going to start from scrath, look at a socket 939 board. MSI, DFI, and Gigabyte are good. Be sure that the mobo you pick out has at least one PCI-E x16 slot. Look for SATA connections, as well as dual-channel memory support.

Buy what you can afford in a CPU. You can always upgrade later.

Buy RAM in sets of two, with a minimum of 512MB. 1 gig would be better (2x512).

Buy what you afford in the way of graphic card(s). The 7800 is the hottest thing going, but it ain't cheap.

Onboard sound works fine, unless you are an audiophile.

Toss in any extras you want and can afford, like a DVD burner, extra hard drive (RAID maybe), extra optical drive, extra fans, aftermarket heatsink and fan, whatever.

If you buy a new case, be sure that you get a decent power supply. The cheap cases come with a PSU, but they are junk. Go with Antec (they have cases with their PSUs), ThermalTake, PC Power, or Fortron. Get 500W or better.

well i dont really want to start from scratch i wouldnt be able to afford it. i would like to just buy a mobo that can support the 7800gtx card and go from there. haha unfortunately im a noob and didnt look into this earlier because i already ordered the card and its coming tomorrow lmao *slaps himself in the face* haha. sigh i guess you learn from your mistakes. i have written down what is needed to run that card and thanks for the help. oh yeah do i need to upgrade my memory? i mean i have 1g already in there. oh yeah this is a off topic question but my audio makes this popping noise is that the speakers or card?

thanks
osokk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom