PCI-e 2.0 card in a PCI-e 1.0a Slot... Max Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwiz

MechEng Extraordinaire
I have a HD 3850 in my older MSI K8N Neo4-F motherboard with an amd x2 3800+ and 2gb of ddr 400 ram and a ~600w psu with a beefy 12V rail so i'm not worried about being short on power... i'll repost when i get home with actual numbers

It kinda sucks compared to the super-clocked 7900GT I had in there before it fried :( Volt mods are fun but they dont last for ever!

According to wikipedia, most PCI-e 2.0 cards are compatable with older PCI-e 1.0 slots. This is good news for me, but the catch is that the newer card can't run any faster than the 250 MB/s data rate and 2.5 GT/s transfer rate (max speed for pci-e 1.0)

So my question is, how do I know when a newer card will be maxing out the speed of my old PCI-e 1.0a x16 slot?

I want to keep the cost under $150 so I've been looking at the GTS 250 and HD 4850. Any idea what rates these cards run at? Can I go for a better card?

An HD4850 won't be impeded by the lower transfer rate - neither will a GTS250. Only recently have cards started to saturate even 1.0.

The number of lanes is more important than the PCI-e version for now. A GTX 480 running in a PCI-e x16 slot but in x4 mode is not a good mix.

why would my pci-e 1.0 x16 be running in 4x mode? isn't it default running at 16x?

He's not saying yours would, it's just one of the main considerations now.

For example, the P55 chipset (for i5 and i3 processors) has two PCI-E x16 slots - however there are only 16 'lanes' to the CPU so if you have multiple video cards then they both have to run at x8 speed (half).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom