PC3200, bad RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manowar

In Runtime
Hi all,

I've just bought PC3200 2x512MB 400mhz DDR Ram for a friends PC. Prior to purchasing this RAM, I checked the motherboard and it said that the max it can handle is 4GB, in either 256, 512 or 1GB modules rated at 400Mhz PC3200. The motherboard is Asus A8N-VM

However, when I put the two 512MB sticks into the PC, it only recognises one stick (512MB) rather than both which should total to 1GB. BIOS and System Info both report 448MB (onboard graphics allocates the rest).

I've tried both sticks in the RAM slots, one stick is fine, as it boots to Windows XP. However, the other stick just creates BIOS beeps....its as if this stick is not being recognised at all by the motherboard. The DIMM slots are fine as the previous RAM works no problem.

So, I've definately both the right RAM, PC3200 - which is what the manual states is acceptable. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or have I just received a bad stick of RAM?

Cheers all.

Sounds like a bad stick to me. Usually long beep means memory error. If it boots with the one and you have put the presumably bad stick in the same slot and get beeps then 99% it is bad. Does bios recognize both sticks or just the one?

Sounds like a bad stick to me. Usually long beep means memory error. If it boots with the one and you have put the presumably bad stick in the same slot and get beeps then 99% it is bad. Does bios recognize both sticks or just the one?

Hi Hefemeister. BIOS only records 448MB, which'll be one stick, I believe.

send it back

I will. I've already emailed the bloke I bought it from.

Would it matter if the sticks were single-sided? These two sticks that I'm having trouble with have 8 chips on one side. The previous sticks had 4 chips on one side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom