pc100 changed to pc133 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

arctic388

In Runtime
i have a eMachine 500a and it had one stick of memory i think pc100 68mb, so i took it out and put in two pc133 128mb to max it out at 256. my problem is when i have a lot of web pages open (different forums i visit and e-mail and ATV photos) once i get to a certain point it freezes the whole thing on me. last night while i was on all but 3 web pages just disappeared off my task bar and it completely froze. i have to power it off when it happens. is this due to the memory i have in it ? the only other thing new is i'm using Netzero dial-up.

anything i can do to check it ?

Where did you get the new modules? Are you positive they are perfectly good? Bad sticks of ram commonly cause irratic behavior, like lock-ups and such.

so you want to upgrade from pc100 to pc133? or you think pc133 is the problem? (or else why are you quoting the pc100 and pc133.. lol?)

sounds to me your comp just can't handle all that. take it easy on the ol' fella

You can't always just "buy" something to see if it fixes the problem. If you have friends who have computers, see if they will let you borrow their ram for an hour or so, assuming it's the correct SDRAM. Make note of the speed of those modules, too.

Have you tried using each stick on it's own independently? Put one of your 128-mb sticks in and see if your problem continues. If it does, try the other stick on its own. If either of them seems to be causing the problem, try and replace it if you have memory/$$$ available. When you do this, try both (or all) of your memory slots on your motherboard.

Good luck! Let us know the results of anything you do.

that last reply i never thought of.

the 133 were in use when i aquired them. i'll try them individually and see if that helps. before i had the stock chip with one of the others and it worked fine. maybe the last one i got is not good.

i am in the process of saving to build me one so i dont want to put any money in this thing. i'll put the original one back if i have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom