pc wont turn on inside the case. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default pc wont turn on inside the case.

I just built myself a new computer, and after installing all the necessary hardware and plugging in the power cables, it wouldn't turn on. So I searched online and someone suggested that I take the mobo out of the case and try to turn it on. Surprisingly it worked, my case is all metal I have idea if that was the reason as I used this case on a build successfully years ago without any problems.This has me turning on the computer by resting the mobo on a cardboard box and shorting the power sw pins with a screw driver. Is this method safe for the mobo and other components? also would getting a plastic case solve my problem?

Old 03-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: pc wont turn on inside the case.

hmm...It looks like it's shorting in the case, because you possibly didn't install the motherboard standoffs in the motherboard tray? You have to install those first before mounting the motherboard.

If that was the case, it wasn't turning on because the motherboard was making contact with the metal case, causing a short.

Standoffs look like this:

Old 03-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

Like b1gapl said, install the standoffs first, and then set your motherboard on top of those/screw it down into the standoffs. Those prevent your motherboard from shorting out against the case.
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 03-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Sorry for late reply but would it be safe to leave the motherboard on the motherboard box until I can get a hold of the standoffs?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

Yes, you can just run the motherboard without a case for the meanwhile.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Closed Thread