pc wont turn on inside the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

menokev

Beta member
I just built myself a new computer, and after installing all the necessary hardware and plugging in the power cables, it wouldn't turn on. So I searched online and someone suggested that I take the mobo out of the case and try to turn it on. Surprisingly it worked, my case is all metal I have idea if that was the reason as I used this case on a build successfully years ago without any problems.This has me turning on the computer by resting the mobo on a cardboard box and shorting the power sw pins with a screw driver. Is this method safe for the mobo and other components? also would getting a plastic case solve my problem?

hmm...It looks like it's shorting in the case, because you possibly didn't install the motherboard standoffs in the motherboard tray? You have to install those first before mounting the motherboard.

If that was the case, it wasn't turning on because the motherboard was making contact with the metal case, causing a short.

Standoffs look like this:
MotherboardStanOff2.jpg

Like b1gapl said, install the standoffs first, and then set your motherboard on top of those/screw it down into the standoffs. Those prevent your motherboard from shorting out against the case.

Sorry for late reply but would it be safe to leave the motherboard on the motherboard box until I can get a hold of the standoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom