PC for under $200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infowarrior45

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

I know somebody that needs a cheap PC preferably for around $100 or a little bit more. For that price, I wonder if I am better off buying a used/refurb computer versus building one? Plus they want it sort of soon. They won't be gaming on it or anything...just productivity software and maybe some photos. I do have some parts I could put in from my old Dell Dimension 2400. Any suggestions on what to do/where to get would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I don't think it can be done with new parts, that's a very budgeted build. You're probably better off looking for a free one. Over here we have bulk rubbish, where people ditch stuff they don't want (including pc's) which anyone can take.
We also have a 'free' section in most of our auction/trade newspapers, you might want to check for something similar.

Anyway, get most of the parts that way and if it needs upgrading post back and someone will recommend better parts for you.

It is possible, but you'll have to skimp consideribly on parts.

I recently found a $69 Cpu/Motherboard combo: "+getMessage("iPrintVerKit")+"

Then a Case/PSU combo for $39.99 (terrible idea, but with that budget...): Apex SK-393 ATX Black Mid-T Case w/ 300w PSU at TigerDirect.com

Some ram for $11.99: Ultra 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory at TigerDirect.com

20gb Hard drive for $2.99: IBM 20GB EIDE Hard Drive (IBM DRV11910) : surpluscomputers.com

Cd Rom for $7.99: HP 410125-100 48X CD-ROM OEM - 48x, SATA at TigerDirect.com

Add those prices..

$69
$39.99
$11.99
$7.99

And its $128.97, which leaves about $70 for shipping, which is likely more than it costs. I'd take the extra cash and throw it into either a better hard drive or PSU.

maybe something like this would work them.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

you would need to also buy some ddr2 ram, and you can reuse the disk drive and hdd from the dell.

edit: or maybe you can check this site out The Freecycle Network . i have seen it a few times and depending on where you live, people around you can sometimes offer many different electronics. around where i live, people have posted giving away used computer, older tv's, washers and dryers and such. free is as cheap as your going to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom