PC for parents. $400-$500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe so Sapper, but I'd actually like to pay more around $500. My parents bought a fast PC in it's time, but it's 8 years old now. I want their new PC to last another 3-5 years. I really want them to have the PC they deserve, and it needs to be as future compatible as possible for my $500 price range. I could go above $500 but I need to stay as low as possible...

I'm not gonna move from the Hard Drive I picked unless you can show me a better 700GB+ HDD that's the around same price or cheaper (with better specs).

As for the gfx card, I want to buy one with a hdtv port.
Is Radeon all that good? I've only had experience with Nvidia. Also, I realize the 8600 I picked only has 256mg ddr3.
Would 512mb be much more noticeable?

Maybe so Sapper, but I'd actually like to pay more around $500. My parents bought a fast PC in it's time, but it's 8 years old now. I want their new PC to last another 3-5 years. I really want them to have the PC they deserve, and it needs to be as future compatible as possible for my $500 price range. I could go above $500 but I need to stay as low as possible...

I'm not gonna move from the Hard Drive I picked unless you can show me a better 700GB+ HDD that's the around same price or cheaper (with better specs).

As for the gfx card, I want to buy one with a hdtv port.
Is Radeon all that good? I've only had experience with Nvidia. Also, I realize the 8600 I picked only has 256mg ddr3.
Would 512mb be much more noticeable?

It would be noticeable in new gen games, but if it's for your parents, then I doubt it. If you wanna spend more, keep the same I recommended before, but change the CPU to this:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale 2.66GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Better graphics card with HDTV Out:

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100252L Radeon HD 4550 512MB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Hard Drive:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Should bring you around 500.

The quad won't be utilised and will be slower then a E7300 in the standard desktop environment and programs

Really? If that's true then I guess it would be better to go with the e7300. I want their PC to be as fast as possible for under $700 (600-700 is what they said they'd actually like to pay).

Edit: What about the e8400? 3.0ghz is a good bit faster. Also, the L2 cache is much larger, but will that be noticeable in a non-gaming PC? I would think so, seeing as it would be able to execute programs faster...

yeah the E8400 is a goodun and the E8500 use to be available for $10 more which may be worth it if your not overclocking it.

Yeah, my parents won't need overclocking so I doubt I will.

Also, this 9600gt is only $10 more than that Radeon and the specs are all a bit higher. I know some of you disagreed and said it'd be overkill, but I'd rather have a bit too much power in the future than too little. Know what I mean?
'Specially considering my parents are heading towards graphic design and web building.
Would the PSU still be able to handle this card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom