Pc Overheating After Cpu Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

NABRIL

Beta member
Hello
New to forum. Thanks for your help.
Recently upgraded cpu of my HP DC7100 SFF from P4 2.8ghz to 3.6. Since the cpu upgrade, I haven't noticed a significant jump in performance. Simply logging into pc takes longer than expected. And running Outlook or Excel causes the cpu's fan to blow loudly.

Specs:
3gb ram
XP SP3
Built in video graphics card.
No special apps or games yet.
OEM power supply, 240v.

1) Could this be a power supply issue? Do I need more volts?
2) I have heard about overclocking a cpu. How can I do that?

Thanks,
N

Whole sections of this forum dedicated to overclocking, just read them. Relatively simple process.

The fan noise is either caused by a wire clipping the fan blades as they pass, a dirty fan blade, or just a noisy fan. Some heatsinks and fans are louder than others. I'd suggest doing some research and purchasing a new heatsink and fan if nothing is in the way of your current fan.

While you should see an increase in speed because of the upgrade, windows bootup will be more effected by what programs are loading (unless you jump from like a 2.2 to a dual 2.4). Check what programs are loading up and stop them from loading at windows start if you don't need them. Do this through the programs themselves, and if they don't have an option then go through msconfig to do so.

thanks lexluethar
No programs are loading at bootup other than windows itself.

No cables/wires near the fan at all. How can i test temperatures? I see mention of a Speedfan ( in the overclocking section).

Just install a program - it will show you the temp.

If your computer isn't locking up then your cpu probably isn't having heat issues. Heat won't cause a cpu to run slow, heat will just cause a system to lockup (b/c when it gets to a certain temp it will shut down to prevent damage, unless of course you've disabled that).

I would look into other issues of why you aren't seeing a performance gain. things like what type of cpu it is and what you had before (exact specs). Also make sure you have no malware or virus's.

You are using an HP (prebuilt), so you can't overclock. Prebuilts use locked BIOS.

Did you clean the heatsink's base and apply thermal paste to both it and the back of the CPU? if not, the heatsink may not be contacting the CPU good enough to get the heat away from the CPU. That would account for your fan running wide open. Your fan's bearing could be going out, but the sound would be different than just the fan spinning.

You can check your temps in the BIOS. You can also use programs like Speedfan or Everest.

For a slow boot there are lots of things you can do to help. A good defrag can make a difference, as can using MSCONFIG to make sure that nothing else is starting up. Check your startup folder as well. BootVis can be used to optomize your boot.

Download Core Temp or Everest to see your cpu temp. If the cpu temps are real high, then that is why the fan is kicking in and making your system lag.

Edit: Oops looks like Trotter beat me to it.

thanks all
I have msconfig and startup folder very clean.
I will remove heat sink, and reapply grease.

I have tried bootvis several times, but for some reason it does not generate the thorough report that shows where it hangs. Not sure why, but it happens.

Trotter--u mention that I can check temps in the BIOS. Where?

Different computers have different setups, so you'll just have to look for it. the temp would be without load, though. I use everest for my temps.

thanks again trotter
i downloaded Everest premium, which contains a bunch of stuff; plus some of it is disabled since it is a trial version.
Can u guide me a little bit as to what/where I need to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom