PC+Motherboard for friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
My friend in my tech class just bought a new board and CPU for his computer he put it together and it didn't work, it wouldn't boot at all.

This is what he got (I think)

CPU - Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+ Brisbane 3.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops (Bad idea to get OEM CPU's)

Board - Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TF720 A2+ AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 720a ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

The board has diagnostic lights on them and none are on indicating a chipset or CPU failure.

He took it in and the instructor took a look at it and said it was probably a bad CPU.

He is planning on returning both and getting something similar accept Intel (Our class is pretty much all for Intel... The one kid that goes AMD gets a bad chip) He wants it to be about the same price but is willing to pay A LITTLE (10-20) more for better quality.

I was thinking an E5200 with one of these boards - Newegg.com - ASUS P5KPL-CM LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards or if he is willing to spend the extra $20ish Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Problem is with the first board its micro ATX and only has 2 RAM slots so he can't add more RAM in the future... The problem with the second one is well it costs a little much.

So my question is: is there a good board he can get for cheap that will support 4 memory slots and will be decent quality? Preferably one that will support 45NM CPU's out of the box but if it doesn't we can probably put a 65NM one in it and flash the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom