PC configuration - advice - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default PC configuration - advice

Hi. I am looking for advice. I am going to build desktop tower 4 me as I am still working on P4.
I dont know anything about current technology and what is new. I know I need something powerfull (for multitask in graphic, some game maybe...) I would like to go with Intel but dont want to spend $1500 just for tower. Could you advice me something reliable (something not developed yesterday but something still on top).
Please advice all (detailet if possible) configraion motherboard, processor, graphic..... and what is important to know if buying/building new computer (I know alredy that AGP is old input now.
Thank you all.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Default Re: PC configuration - advice

What are you going to be using it for and what's your budget? Do you have any special requirements that need to be taken into consideration and do you need monitor, keyboard, mouse etc?

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 02-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

just tower. I am runing sometimes few graphic programs...and skype.....and I am dreaming to play some game exp. call of duty LAST NUMBER whateever it is LetS not talking about budget. I will wait for some time for more money if its worth....but I am looking for something campare ECONOMIC and POWER
Old 02-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman3d View Post
CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops
MOBO: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
VID: Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H485FN512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
PSU: Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
CSE: Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
OPT: Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVDR DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners
That's a good setup there. I read a few reviews of the motherboard, and a couple people said with the 940, their ram was operating in single channel mode. That could be just user error, or a BIOS problem.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

More than likely, user error. On those reviews, people don't know what they are talking about.

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 02-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thx for advice. Tommorow I will check prices but before that.....isnt Intel better than AMD? I had AMD one time and I had lots of problems when I upgrated to riva16 mb Even hundreds experts configurated that comp this comp just freze in some moments....thast wsy I dont trust AMD and from that time got Intel. What is your opinion camparing AMD and Intel? Should I stay with Intel? I will pay little more bud I dont need problems.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_BigPhpAmator View Post
Thx for advice. Tommorow I will check prices but before that.....isnt Intel better than AMD? I had AMD one time and I had lots of problems when I upgrated to riva16 mb Even hundreds experts configurated that comp this comp just freze in some moments....thast wsy I dont trust AMD and from that time got Intel. What is your opinion camparing AMD and Intel? Should I stay with Intel? I will pay little more bud I dont need problems.
That's an arguable statement. I would not say either is better, I would say they both have their strong points and weak points. I have been a die hard AMD fan ever since I got into computers, because the price to performance ratio is unbeatable, in my opinion. I've been using the same AMD Chip and board for the past 7-8 years without any problems from them. I have had problems with the computer, but dealing with electronics, you're bound to have issues at some point in time.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

AMD is fine, I have had many fault free AMD builds. Any problems you had upgrading your graphics card are unlikely to be related to your CPU manufacturer.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 02-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well....price is not bad but......I would like to try to stay with intel. What do you
think about these processors
1. Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
2. Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
3. Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
4. Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Prices are comparing to AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Retail little more ($50) but parameters seems better or same (bu I wish to stay with intel)...

Closed Thread